604 North Maple Avenue
Ho Ho Kus, NJ 07423

Sicilian Sun Restaurant

Cuisine: Italian, Pizza, Italian Cuisine

Sicilian Sun Restaurant is a Italian, Pizza, and Italian Cuisine restaurant where most Menuism users came for a family meal, paid between $10 and $25, and tipped more than 18%.

Overall
Pros
"THE FOOD WAS VERY GOOD, THE OWNERS WIFE WAS NOT! "
"Fresh fish and veal parmagiano can't be beat ! Pizza is available and tasty. Great for family or party of two. We have been there for a Sunday family dinner or stopped by for lunch or dined with friends, Don't miss it! "
  • 8/28/2019

A dining patron from Ridgewood, NJ tried it and liked it. They liked the food, liked the service, and didn't like the ambiance.

• 9/18/2018

A diner from Scotch Plains, NJ tried it, liked it, and rated it . They liked the food, didn't like the service, and liked the ambiance.

Pros
    THE FOOD WAS VERY GOOD, THE OWNERS WIFE WAS NOT!
  • 8/25/2018

An Italian chowhound from Bergenfield, NJ tried it.

• 2/25/2018

A diner from Harrington Park, NJ tried it, liked it, and rated it . They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.

• 5/03/2017

An Italian chowhound from Mahwah, NJ tried it, liked it, and rated it . They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.

• 4/19/2017

An Italian food lover from New Brunswick, NJ tried it.

• 12/29/2015

A dining patron from Ridgewood, NJ tried it, didn't like it, and rated it . They didn't like the food, didn't like the service, and didn't like the ambiance.

• 7/10/2015

An Italian chowhound from Lake Hiawatha, NJ tried it.

• 5/29/2015

An Italian chowhound from Newark, NJ tried it and liked it.

• 3/01/2015

An American chowhound from Chicago, IL tried it, liked it, and rated it . They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.

Pros
    The food is always fresh and order takers are okay and the owner/manager always very pleasant.
    Pasta-mushroom-300x199

Pizza

MotherGrizzly photo

MotherGrizzly

Ridgewood, NJ

Sicilian Sun--One of my Favorite Family Staples

Sicilian Sun restaurant is situated so close to the home where I grew up that I feel as though I’ve been eating there for all of my life. What started out as a small pizza eatery transformed into an intimate dining room with the pizza and family eating area separate from the cloth tablecloths and wine-toting diners. With excellent Italian food, Sicilian Sun has a steady clientele that often features repeat customers, like me!

This Italian restaurant has eat in or take out options, and everything on the menu has that “made from scratch” taste that keeps bringing in the customers. A family-owned business, Siciian Sun will cater your party and make your guests think that you slaved over a hot stove, cooking up some Italian delicacies.

While Sicilian Sun is open for lunch and dinner, I find myself ordering my favorites for a special dinner with the family. I love to start with my absolute fave—the mussels appetizer. For $7.50, you can order sweet or hot mussels in a tomato/ garlic sauce that is to die for—honestly, I’ve ordered this as a dinner for myself, because it’s the perfect meal with a side of bread to sop up the fragrant broth.

Lasagna is a bit hit in my home, and I’ve eaten Siclian Sun’s version for years. For $10.95, I get the ultimate comfort food that is filled with ricotta cheese, seasoned beef, onions, basil, and an amazing house-tomato sauce (“gravy” for hard-core Italians!) that tastes wonderful. While the portions here are generous, I always polish off the delicious casserole. It’s just too good to pass up.

Over the years, we’ve ordered quite a few pizza pies from Sicilia Sun. With thin-crust and herb-flecked mozzarella cheese topping the warm pie, the pizza is always a hit for dinner at my place. A large pie is $10.95—comparable to other pizza places in my area—but the taste is really what keeps drawing me back. One of the favorites on the menu is the Sicilian Pie ($14.95) With a doughy-crust and less sauce beneath the cheese, this is a super-popular pie.

My only complaint about Sicilian Sun is that sometimes, their meals are overseasoned with salt. While I like salt in my food, I would prefer to have my meals less seasoned—after my last over-salted lasagna dish, I decided that if I were to order from this restaurant again, I would request that they tone down the salt a bit in the kitchen. The servers and staff are very friendly and I know that they would graciously accomodate this request.

This is a menu that is very comprehensive, with familiar options like eggplant Rollatini (my husband’s favorite meal at $13.95), and adventurous options like Angel Hair Shiitake for $16.95, boasting mushrooms, arugula, shrimp, and garlic in a light marinara sauce over the delicate angel hair noodles. Family-friendly-fare, such as children’s portions, are available. Because the entrees come with spaghetti or a salad (even if you take-out), my toddler elects to eat the side of spaghetti and slurp up the yummy noodles.

Sicilian Sun appeals to families, couples, and groups who wish to eat without pressure, bring their own wine to the table, and linger over delectable Italian meals. If you are in Ho Ho Kus, definitely stop by and try it out. You won’t be disappointed!

Lasagna

I love this restaurant’s delicious, home-cooked lasagna. All of the ingredients taste fresh and lively on my tongue. I will ask the chef to avoid oversalting my food the next time I eat this meal—I enjoy the freshness of the tomato sauce without the overwhelming component of too much salt.

elvisdo photo

elvisdo

Mahwah, NJ

The Sunny Side of Italy Resides at Sicilian Sun

There is always that one Italian restaurant in each town where people will always gravitate to because it is comfort food. Sicilian Sun in Ho-Ho-Bus fits that billing. Every day is crowd with patrons eating in the establishment or picking up orders to take home. But it’s how you are treated that makes you feel at home. It should because it’s all about families.

The portions are huge. There are times when I order something and think I can finish it in one sitting only to realize that I need to rethink that strategy. The food is fantastic, which is one of the reasons why we keep coming back to the place. My wife’s favorite dish is the lasagna. It doesn’t where she goes because she will order lasagna from any place she thinks will do a good job and Sicilian Sun really does a good job. The portion that you get looks like it could feed four people. They do not shy away from feeding people.

I thoroughly enjoy the mussels. Again, the portions are plentiful. I also find that I need to pace myself because eating it too quickly can lead to heartburn for me. The thin crust pizza is amazing and shouldn’t be overlooked. There is a lot of flavor in its taste. And the price is actually comparable to other places.

My only beef is the amount of salt I taste in the food. I understand that spices and flavoring are part of the ingredients but it’s very noticeable. It was always there for the many years I have eaten the food but it’s more prominent now that my taste buds have become more aware of the amount of salt I intake. An easy solution is to tell them to hold back on the sodium.

Sicilian Sun is a fantastic venue. It’s homey and always busy. My in-laws often order from this place when they have parties because it’s reliable and comfort food.

anthony0467 photo

anthony0467

Ridgewood, NJ

AVOID THIS PLACE

The food at Sicilian Sun is good. Not very good,absolutely not excellent, but good. And sometimes good is good enough, especially when you want someplace close to home. And that’s why my family and I have gone to Sicilian Sun many, many times over the past three years. But after our experience tonight, I’ll never go again. Ever. To be blunt, I’ve never had such extraordinarily poor service as we did tonight. The waitress was simply inept, even though she’s been there for years. She virtually ignored us the entire evening, even though the restaurant was 1/3 full. My daughter’s food was brought quickly enough, but my chicken dish took forever. My daughter was finished with her meal before mine was even brought out. After asking THREE times where my food was and being assured it’d be out momentarily, I finally told the waitress to simply forget it. That’s when her obnoxious attitude took over, and she reared her ugly side. I’ll spare you on the details, but suffice it to say she’s the most obnoxious and rude person I’ve ever met. I complained to the owner on our way out, and he was extremely apologetic, to his credit. I’m sure he’s gotten many, many complaints about this woman in the past. Why he keeps her on staff I simply don’t understand. I’ll never go back, and will tell others – including the family that originally recommended Sicilian Sun to us – about what a terrible place this is. Heed my advice – AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE!! The food is ok, but life is far too short to be treated the way we were tonight. Read other yelp reviews on this place and unfortunately you’ll see my comments are consistent with those of others. There are many other excellent restaurants in the area that are much better options.

delirium820 photo

delirium820

Waldwick, NJ

Homemade Italian ready to be served...

This place has been here forever. The portions are huge and I can never eat to in one sitting. I love the lasagna and the clams the best. My only problem is the amount of salt I taste in each dish. It’s a bit too much for me to take despite the fact that I love the food. Always crowded so it’s best to order takeout.

Italian Pizza Italian Cuisine

Sicilian Sun Restaurant  Restaurant Reviews

Sicilian Sun Restaurant is located near the cities of Ridgewood, Waldwick, Washington Township, Washington Twp, and Washington Twps.
People found this by searching for: Sicilian Sun Restaurant, Scicilian Sun Hohokus, Sicilan Sun In Allendale, Sicilian Sun Hohokus Nj Menu, Sicilian Sun Hohokus Nj, Sicilian Sun Ho Kus, Sicilian Sun Menu, and Sciciliansunresturant.