1799 Newport Blvd Ste A105
Costa Mesa, CA 92627-2776

Side Street Cafe

Cuisine: American, Diner, Tex-mex

Side Street Cafe is a American, Diner, and Tex-mex restaurant where most Menuism users came for a meal on the go, paid less than $10, and tipped more than 18%.

Overall
Pros
"Fast service unique dishes family friendly!"
"Good food"
Cons
"Quality could be better "
  • 8/13/2017

A diner from Costa Mesa, CA tried it.

• 10/11/2015

An American food lover from Costa Mesa, CA tried it.

• 8/07/2015

An American chowhound from Irvine, CA tried it.

• 6/07/2015

An American food lover from Los Angeles, CA tried it, liked it, and rated it . They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.

• 4/19/2015

A dining patron from Los Angeles, CA tried it, liked it, and rated it . They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.

• 1/25/2015

A dining patron from San Jose, CA tried it, liked it, and rated it . They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.

• 12/27/2014

Pros
    Fast service unique dishes family friendly!
    Cons
    Quality could be better
  • 12/20/2014

• 1/24/2014

An American chowhound from San Jose, CA tried it, liked it, and rated it . They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.

Pros
    Good food
jmix photo

jmix

Irvine, CA

Family-feeling IHOP

I should’ve read the reviews before coming here first, because looking at their hand-written menu I had no idea what was good. I ordered the Cheapskate meal #2, not because it was ‘cheap’ but it was the only thing in the menu that had coffee, pancakes, and eggs (salty+sweet combination). I’m sure the other food is good, but in the morning I usually crave something sweet and salty.

First impressions: So I came here @ 11 for brunch with my old high school friends. The place (like the bottom reviews had mentioned) is pretty small, but miraculously there was a table open for us. There is also outside seating for a good sunny day. It reminded me of an old diner, and there are some humorous signs and proverbs from the 70’s and 80s on the wall to read.

Food:
Coffee: Tasted like a generic blend. Add some cubed sugar and creamer and it was good. Not great, not bad.
Scrambled eggs + bacon: Something I could’ve made myself!
Pancakes: Big ol’ pancakes that I wolfed down. Filled me up.

This review is to be taken with a grain of salt though, as I didn’t order their more ‘specialty’ items as suggested by the below reviewers. Next time I go i’ll order something more specific than bacon, eggs, and pancakes. Can’t expect much from a “Cheapskate Menu” tho, but still thought it was overpriced @ $8.00

Side Street Cafe, where the locals go!

Definitely a place you can just drop in, after you rolled out of bed and just need some breakfast or lunch. Do not need to dress up, just show up! No nonsense, nothing fancy. I believe it’s family owned, by the pictures on the wall. The service is great!!! It’s got a steady flow of customers, so you know it has to be good. The price, is not bad either. You can either sit out on the walkway (your view is Newport Blvd and just random people either biking or walking coming from everywhere and anywhere, that’s Costa Mesa for you or inside. Might be a little small for some people, eclectic style, non matching chairs, looks like grandma dining area, but it works.

steak salad, spicy lime dressing

It’s a great salad that will fill you. Grilled steak and onions, butter lettuce, tomatoes and top ramen noodles… I know, I thought that weird too but it actually taste pretty good. The waitress suggested mixing the spicy lime dressing w/ russian, and it got pretty good flavor. Maybe would be healthier if you minus the top ramen noodle.

pjacayan photo

pjacayan

Washington, DC

in case you ever wondered: hmmm...what does home taste like?

side street cafe’s nostalgic let-the-little-things-slide type mentality, seemingly borrowed cutlery, and floor-to-rafter family mementos is effectively eclipsed by simple things that we all eventually take for granted: over medium eggs that aren’t over and done with, S**t on a Shingle that tastes so much better than the name implies, the very real possibility of finding a piece of shell in your omelet, actually wanting to finish your food, being cooked for as if you were a guest whom they wanted to see again.

The menu, a handwritten work in progress, tells you exactly what you will be receiving. No verbal embellishments required.

Pizza-Full – adj: a reflexive state of eating “just one more” over and over again due to a conviction that it is too good waste.

Yes…it’s crowded, the place is cramped, the wait invariably long on weekends, and you will very likely find yourself sharing a table with two or more other people. So what?! The atmosphere seems to have been custom tailored to accentuate a facet of what made home cooked meals so good. To be surrounded by people who shared a common goal to be fed by people who wanted nothing more than to feed them.

some may recall a time when your dishes consisted of hand-me-downs, garage sale conquests, and orphaned goodwill dinnerware. when the quality of your ramen and instant quaker oatmeal had to compensate for mismatched bowls and saucers. though I don’t miss those days (very much) my recollection seems a bit more fond having off of the same exact plates I swore I never wanted to see again.

Short Stack, Chicken sausage, 2 eggs over medium, side of gravy

oh man! yeah. so good… I forgot how much I loved sausage gravy.

knichol photo

knichol

Costa Mesa, CA

Perfect weekend brunch!

Side street cafe is a tiny place, with limited seating. However, the food is worth the wait. I moved here from texas a few years ago and can honestly say I had forgotten how much I loved Texas food until I went to Side Street. The best dishes are Tex-Mex, like huevos rancheros. However, they do have healthier options for the calorie conscious (though few). I can’t wait to go back and try lunch.

My only negative is the wait-staff, who seem a little confused as to whom has which table in such a small place. Hopefully, they will expand to a few more tables.

American Diner Tex-mex
Sun-Sat 07:30AM - 03:30PM

Side Street Cafe  Restaurant Reviews

Side Street Cafe is located near the cities of Newport Beach, Lido Isle, Central Coast, Huntingtn Bch, and Huntington.
People found this by searching for: Side Street Café Costa Mesa Menu, Side Street Cafe Costa Mesa Menu, Side Street Cafe Menu, Side Street Cafe Menu Costa Mesa, Side Street Cafe, Side Street Café Costa Mesa, Side Street Cafe Costa Mesa Website, and Side Street Cafe Costa Mesa.