10433 National Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90034

Simpang Asia

Neighborhoods: Palms
Cuisine: Indonesian, Vegan, Lunch

Simpang Asia is a Indonesian, Vegan, and Lunch restaurant where most Menuism users came for a meal on the go, paid less than $10, and tipped less than 15%.

• 12/31/2014

A diner from San Jose, CA tried it.

mirabell_19 photo

mirabell_19

I want some indo

This cafe is located across the street from Indo Cafe, a very tasty restaurant with good indonesian food. But if you don’t need the ambience and want to save a couple dollars you should try Simpang Asia. It’s a very small cafe adjacent to an asian grocery store. It’s usually not that busy so finding a seat is no problem, but you’ll have to eat the meal off a paper plate, which is why this place is popular for togo meals. The prices are reasonable and you get lots of food.

Nasi Warteg

This is their best tasting platter. I’ve tried some of the other menu items but I like this one the best. It’s a rice dish with fried chicken, egg, tempeh, fried noodles, all wrapped up in a banana leaf.

Mango Smoothie

I love this mango smoothie, it tastes very fresh and it’s not mixed with a bunch of extras so you only taste the mangoes

jmutan photo

jmutan

San Francisco, CA

Craving for some Indo food?

This place has the best Indonesian food in Cali. It’s so good that everytime I’m in LA area, I’ll go there to eat and order more food to go.
The looks of the place can be deceiving. I took one of my friends there once and he was confused on why we were walking into a grocery store for lunch.
But trust me, I’ve never been disappointed with their food. The food is always really authentic and fresh.
Also great bargain with their very affordable prices.

Nasi Uduk

Really yummy coconut rice… Tastes just like how they make it in Indonesia!

Nasi Warteg

Everyone else’s favorite, but I don’t like it as much as Nasi Uduk because it’s way too spicy for me.

mmm_good photo

mmm_good

New York, NY

Bring some of this back to me!

At first glance, you think “Really? This place has good Indo food?” You doubt those people that have told you this place is so good… you want to walk across the street to the nicer looking Indo restaurant. Let me just say, don’t let looks deceive you! At Simpang Asia you will find one of the tastiest, most delicious meals you will ever eat.

I’ve had just about everything on the menu, so you can’t go wrong with whatever you choose. The authentic flavors are right on, especially if you have one of the dishes that are wrapped up in banana leaves. I enjoy the food here so much that I will scrape the plate for any remnants. And whenever someone from LA is coming for a visit, I’ll make a request for them to bring me something from here!

The portion size to cost ratio is excellent and the meal in itself is relatively cheap (about $6-7/dish). This is the definition of a diamond in the rough and is a definite must try! You will not be disappointed by the food here!

mh2mh photo

mh2mh

delicious. when I can figure out what to order.

What I love about this place is each time I’ve gone there, there are lots of Indonesian people, and the food is great. What I don’t like about going here is I never really know what I’m doing.

The blackboard specials have no description so I have no idea what they are. My brain goes into confusion reading through the menu descriptions. Then I see all these great dishes coming out of the kitchen and can’t match them to anything on the menu.

This also happens when I go to Grand Casino, where all the Argentinians hang out.

Anyway, this time I got the Nasi Rames Padang: “padang style combination of rendang, young jackfruit curry, balado shrimp, spiced egg, with green chili paste.” So rendang turns out to be beef, oh well, I ate it, ha. Flavors are great. The young jackfruit is so much better than the regular jackfruit at Taste of India.

The person who took my order told me I look Indonesian, so that’s why they couldn’t figure out why I had questions about the menu. Really?? I look Indonesian? I’ve never been told that before. So when I go to Grand Casino, I wonder if I look Argentinian, and that’s why they also seem to think I should just know what I want to order??

diggydrew photo

diggydrew

not as good as I thought it would be...

The reviews prior are all accurate: This is a small quaint cafe in a plaza off of the 10. It’s located in an obscure area, but once you get there it’s unmistakable. Parking is no problem at all.

There were quite a few people who came for lunch. People of all ages were coming in and out to grab a meal.

Nasi Warteg

Although this dish was tasty, I wouldn’t say it was really good. The presentation was impressive, since it came in a banana leaf. Inside I found the fried egg, noodles, rice, fried chicken, and chunks of meat. The chicken was pretty darn good. It was seasoned in curry and fried to a nice crisp. The noodles and the diced meat were also tasty. The meat was like sweet Chinese sausages. I had a problem with the rice though—it was too dry and choppy, although it was quite fragrant.

Nasi Uduk

This was clearly the better dish. I had the same problem with the rice here—too dry and choppy. Also, the coconut flavor was too subtle. I thought it would be stronger. This plate also comes with the diced meat and chicken.

Honey Dew Smoothie

This was amazing. “Smoothie” is misleading, it’s really a slurpie. It was made straight from the fruit. It was so refreshing and fresh—unbelievable. I originally ordered the mango smoothie, but I was told the mangoes were too young. I can imagine how good the mango one must be. Highly recommended.

dhnoho photo

dhnoho

North Hollywood, CA

My hometown comfort food

I am Indonesian and I can vouch this is one of the better Indonesian restaurants west of San Gabriel Valley and West Covina. Forget the others in this area and surrounding neighborhoods, trust me.

it is a small cafe with limted seating inside and a few tables outside shared with other businesses. There is an asian market adjoined to Simpang where one can peruse while waiting for their meal. The market is filled with asian snacks, beverages and limited spices and mixes, cookies etc…. and a refrigerator filled with Indonesia’s favorite ready-made snacky foods, such as dumplings, fish cake, spicy beef.

Next to where you order, you’ll find more ready-made snacks of empanadas, lumpia, croquettes, cupcakes etc….They also have a variety of shakes and smoothies as well liquid desserts and shaved ice desserts.

If you want to know what’s good, just ask me, I practically know their menu. If you’re a first-timer, the menu can be overwhelming, hey I get that way with Jerry’s Deli menu. Lol

I give it a three star because of the parking situation. It’s in a small plaza and shared with other businesses, however, if you are in a hurry, you can call in your order and they can even come out if you can’t find parking, or just block a car and most of the time, the car will belong to one of Simpang’s patrons and they will not get angry with you since they will do the same thing.

There are street parkings nearby, which really is not that far.

Gado Gado

it’s basically an assortment of vegetables and greens with bean sprouts, potatoes, boiled eggs, tofu then mixed with our famous peanut sauce. You can ask for it spicy or mild. This is one of Indonesia’s most common salads.

Ketoprak

Almost similar with Gado Gado, is is also considered a “salad”, comprised of rice cakes, rice noodle, bean sprouts, and tofu with a crunchier peanut sauce

Nasi Rames

This is one our famous rice platters. Combination of chicken curry, tofu, fried tempeh, and beef rendang all wrapped in a banana leaft. oh my it’s good.

Bubur Ayam - rice porridge with chicken

It’s the basic rice porridge with turmeric spiced chicken, chinese doughnuts, chives, and fried onions. My comfort food.

Soto Betawi

This is a light creamy soup, with bits of tendon, tripe, beef, with small pieces of tomatoes, potatoes, chives.

Sop Buntut

Oxtail soup – slow cooked and just so hearty.

Indonesian Cheap Online Ordering

Bvh3fifuir3jkkaby-gaa7
lovelypolarbear

Fullerton, CA

Simpang Asia  Restaurant Reviews

Simpang Asia is located near the cities of Civic Center Little Tokyo, Sanford, Dockweiler, Windsor Hills, and August F Haw.
People found this by searching for: Simpang Asia Hours, Restaurants Palms 90034, Simpang Asia, Simpang Asia Restaurant, Simpang Asia Menu, Simpang Asia National, and Simpang Asia La.