6333 W 3rd St Ste 122
Los Angeles, CA 90036

Singapore's Banana Leaf

Neighborhoods: Mid-Wilshire
Cuisine: Asian, Breakfast, Vegan

Singapore's Banana Leaf is a Asian, Breakfast, and Vegan restaurant where most Menuism users came for fun with friends and paid between $10 and $25.

• 1/22/2018

An Asian chowhound from Los Angeles, CA tried it, liked it, and rated it . They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.

• 7/20/2013

An Asian food lover from Honolulu, HI tried it and liked it.

pleasurepalate photo

pleasurepalate

Fancy? No! Fabulous? Yes to Singapore's Banana Leaf!

When it comes to dining out, fancy white tablecloths and a trendy ambiance doesn’t always mean that there’s a great meal to be had. In fact, as many of you may already know about me, I’d rather have exquisitely prepared food and zero ambiance versus a mediocre meal at the swankiest restaurant in town.

Well, swanky is definitely not the word to describe Singapore’s Banana Leaf. In fact, it’s a pretty simple set up. It’s basically a food stand at the Farmer’s Market where you place your order at the counter and if there’s room, sit down at the benches right in front of their space and wait for them to call your name so that you can pick up your food.

For the particular evening I was there, dinner consisted of 4 dishes that my friend and I shared. First, we had the Roti Paratha which is grilled indian bread served with vegetarian curry dipping sauce. The Roti Paratha was light and crispy and while the curry sauce had good flavor, it was too watery for my taste. I would have liked the consistency to be a little thicker and that way, it would have clung to the bread more. However, the next dish we sampled did not disappoint in any way, shape or form.

Simply, the Rojak Salad with ingredients like cucumber, jicama, pineapple, bean sprouts, apple, tofu and spinach tossed with spicy peanut tamarind dressing is definitely one of the best salads I’ve ever had. Although the list of ingredients may seem overwhelming, the way the flavors and textures meshed together really just blew my mind. With this one dish, you get fruity, refreshing, crunchy, juicy, sweet, grassy, spicy and tart. My tastebuds were literally applauding with each bite. If you ever make your way to this little stall, this salad is a must-have. It will not disappoint.

The last two items were just as outstanding as the Rojak Salad. First, I really enjoyed the Rendang Chicken. The meat was tender and moist and with it being slow stewed in a spicy coconut, chili and ginger sauce, you can imagine how each bite was a burst of flavor and the sweet-sour vegetable relish that was its accompaniment, paired really well with it.

Then the finale of our meal was the Laksa Soup, a spicy coconut curry soup with rice noodles, tofu, bean sprouts, homemade fish cake, chicken and shrimp chips. On a cold day or night, this would be the perfect comfort food. Chicken noodle soup is so yesterday. The richness broth of that Laksa Soup warmed me from head to toe and tripped the light fantastic across my palate.

I know, I know, I’m waxing a bit too poetically and hopefully, I’m not sounding too over the top in my descriptions, but sometimes, one of your best meals can come from somewhere you may not expect. That’s why in my search for delicious food, I never judge a book by the cover. In fact, the rattier the book, the better the read and that’s an analogy that can definitely be applied to dining out. So if you’re ever in the Farmer’s Market, drop by Singapore’s Banana Leaf for a meal that is not only memorable, but may hardly even make a dent in your pocketbook and you know what that means? More money for gas! :)

To see pics, go to:

Asian Breakfast Vegan
Mon-Fri 09:00AM - 09:00PM
Sat 09:00AM - 08:00PM
Sun 10:00AM - 07:00PM

Singapore's Banana Leaf  Restaurant Reviews

Singapore's Banana Leaf is located near the cities of Civic Center Little Tokyo, Sanford, Dockweiler, Windsor Hills, and August F Haw.
People found this by searching for: Spuds Restaurant & Pub Saugus Ma, Singapore Banana Leaf Restaurant La, Where To Buy Banana Leaves In Los Angeles, Good Resturants Close To Ucla Medical Center 200 Ucla Medical Plaza Los Angeles, Ca., Banana Leaf Indian Restaurant, Banana Leaf The Grove, Banana Leaf Grove, Singapore Banana Leaf Menu, and Banana Leaf Los Angeles.