46 Dalhousie St
Brantford, ON N3T

Someplace Else

Cuisine: Caribbean, Jamaican

Someplace Else is a Caribbean and Jamaican restaurant where most Menuism users came for a meal on the go, paid less than $10, and tipped between 15% to 18%.

the_napkin photo

the_napkin

Brantford, ON

Best Caribbean In Brantford

I’m a jerk.

At least that’s what I’d be if I went with the age old adage, “You are what you eat.” That’s because I just had the pleasure of dining on some of the most fantastic jerk I’ve ever taken a whiff of. It came from Someplace Else. I know, it sounds like a bad joke.

It is a real place though, just a short walk from campus down Dalhousie Street (across from the Expositor building.) It is home to some of Brantford’s finest Caribbean cuisine.

I decided on testing out the talents of the kitchen staff after reading their take out menu that boasted the best chicken in Brantford.

When I walked in the door there was little in the way of a warm welcome. There was no one around! I waited five minutes until I heard movement in the back. I went to the kitchen area to search for some help

“Can I get an order of jerk chicken please,” I said.

“Ya Mon,” said the perfectly accented Jamaican peeling potatoes. (Of course he said “Ya Mon,” I wouldn’t make that up. )

So my wait began. I sat at the bar and watched Judge Judy.

Judy and I spent ten minute together before my jerk was ready. I handed my ten dollar bill in exchange for the bagged Styrofoam box filled with an utterly enticing aroma. The box was coming with me. It’s called take out.
I bid the Jamaicans farewell and stepped out into the unseasonably warm October sun. I cantered down the street. Alright, it was more of a trot. I was hungry okay.
I found a table at work (I was early) and sat down to enjoy the jerk. I’d prepared myself with water since by definition jerk is muy caliente (that was the definition in my handy Spanish dictionary at least.) As I popped open the polystyrene package, a steamy cloud of jerk aroma wafted to my nostrils, where I took them in. My brain registered, “Yum.”

First of all, the colour was phenomenal. Rice with beans, a Jamaican-style coleslaw and a fabulously laid out hunk of perfectly seasoned and browned jerk chicken served up a meal for my eyes. I dug in.

My digging couldn’t come fast enough. “Where have you been all my life?” I asked the spicy chicken dish. It didn’t answer, so I ate it. Tender and moist is what comes to mind. More like perfectly tender and absolutely the juiciest chicken I’ve ever had (sorry Mom.) The spiciness ran circles around my tongue, enticing me to take a drink of high quality H20. It wasn’t too spicy though, and the rice and beans and coleslaw served as a perfect balance to the intense flavours of the chicken. I don’t even like coleslaw, but this was different.

I endeavoured to eat the entire serving, but it was too much. This is definitely a worthwhile meal for a student trying to make ends meet. Someplace Else offers a fantastic outlet for those inclined to trying and appreciating other nation’s foods. It’s an inexpensive meal packed full of flavour that will make your buds in the tongue department wake up from their grilled-cheese-induced slumber.

Jerk Chicken

Oh wow. For ten bucks this dish is an absolute steal. An amazing and colourful side of coleslaw as well as rice and beans accompany the spicy and flavourful jerk chicken. All three parts of the dish compliment each other fantastically. The cool coleslaw puts out the jerk-induced fire, while the rice and beans are a perfect go between. It all works together colour-wise too! The chicken is perfectly spiced and browned along with the light rice and the eye-catchingly colourful coleslaw.

This is definitely a must have dish at Someplace Else.

Caribbean Jamaican

Someplace Else  Restaurant Reviews

People found this by searching for: Someplace Else Brantford Menu, Jamaican Grocery , Brantford, Ontario, Jamaican Food In Brantford, Brantford Jerk Chicken, Someplace Else Brantford, Someplace Else Restaurant, and Jerk Chicken Brantford.