16 S 5th St
Easton, PA 18042

State Cafe & Grill

Cuisine: American, Lunch, Catering

State Cafe & Grill is a American, Lunch, and Catering restaurant where most Menuism users came for fun with friends, paid between $25 and $50, and tipped less than 15%.

• 5/02/2015

An American chowhound from Ashburn, VA tried it.

Patrick_J photo

Patrick_J

Harleysville, PA

Terrible Customer Service!!

My wife and I had recently had our wedding rehearsal dinner at the State Cafe & Grill. The restaurant used to be open everyday but now only opens for private parties and nights there is a show at the nearby theater. I figured since they aren’t open that much they would excel on the nights they were open and for the parties they host. I was wrong!

My wife and I were busy talking to all of our guests the night of the event and did not realize that our food order was not completed in full. When we later inquired about getting compensation for the unfulfilled order we initially were offered a just and fair cash compensation by Juan, the owner. Moments later we were contacted by Melanie, the wife of the owner, she was serving bar the night of our party. Melanie alleged that we brought extra guests to the party and exceeded the amount we contracted for. She stated since we had more guests than agreed upon that we were not entitled to any compensation. Reluctantly, and after several complaint calls, Melanie offered us compensation 1/3 of the amount initially offered by her husband. We have offered photographic evidence to verify we did not have any extra guests to prove our account of that night. On the contrary, Melanie has offered nothing to support her claim of extra guests other than her verbal count that night that was not brought to our attention until we complained about the food we paid for but did not receive. When asked why she didn’t tell us the night of the party about the extra guests she alleged we had, she stated that she was doing a favor by letting it slide.

It is a shame that there is no doubt that they did not live up to their end of dinner agreement and have countered with a claim that they can’t prove. It is also disappointing to have been initially offered a fair resolution only to have that offer taken back moments later.

Please be VERY cautious when considering booking your party here. If you get poor service do NOT expect anything to change when you bring it to their attention. In fact, the service will likely just get worse. I know it did for us. In my opinion the risk is NOT worth any potential reward. There are many other options in the Easton area which should be considered. Proceed with caution!!

FeliciaF18018 photo

FeliciaF18018

Bethlehem, PA

Way to expensive for quality

Me and my husband use to live in the area and would go there quite often since we lived so close. The food is way to expensive! One time I ordered crab legs and was told I had to pay an extra 25 cents for melted butter! That is something I should be a given! There is also a local town drunk drinking there all the time, I sat there countless times when they have kicked him out, shoved him out, even made it to where they would put shot glasses on table in front of him and take one away for each beer he had, when there were no more glasses left he was cut off. How pathetic. Just kick the guy out! I actually stopped going because the man would insist on walking me home (lived literally blocks away) and would get very mad and upset when I told him no…. but they still would let this guy in every day even though he was running customers away. Also cant stand the fact they use the same side veggies for every single plate, gets old after awhile

rfandy photo

rfandy

Newark, NJ

Threatened by owner!!

Needless to say, I will NEVER visit this establishment again!

At first, one has a pleasant impression with a quiet side street location and outdoor patio seating. We were greeted promptly and seated just as quickly. We made it VERY clear when we 1st stepped into restaurant to be seated that we had to make a show (2 minutes away) within an hour and if they could accomodate our schedule. They said they could (verbal contract) so we agreed to stay and have dinner.

I started with a top-shelf margarrita. It was way too heavy on lime jiuce and I asked if they could fix the drink. They tried but were not successful. I instead opted for a glass of house cab that was mediocre at best. My girlfriend was accomodating and agreed to keep the magarita for herself. We ordered promptly beginning with a couple of starters with plans to share a tuna entre. The server was again reminded of our schedule and said it should be ok. Starters were good. As time passed, we began to get nervous as our entre hadn’t arrived.

About 40 minutes into dinner with our show starting in 20 minutes, we were told that our entre was no longer available!!! Ther server hadn’t put everything in at once and didn’t learn about the dish not being available until it was virtually too late to order anything else and have adequate time to enjoy. We were quite upset. We were offered a chance to pick something else but now the show started in 15 minutes -an impossible situation at this point.

We had enetered the restaurant to have a complete dinner experience and the restaurant said they could provide it (verbal contract). We ordered drinks and starters as part of the total dinner. In the end, the restaurant failed to deliver. The server terribly mishandled our order.

We brought this to the attention of the manager and suggested that the whole thing was terribly mishandled and that we were left without dinner before show with no chance of getting dinner at this point. Her response was, essentially, “so sorry. Here’s the $52 bill for drinks and apps. We have a business to run.”

I was totally appalled and suggested they were mishandling the situation. Rather than owning up to their mistake with good will, the owner, an imposing man, came up to me in an aggressive manner and threatened to call police if I didn’t pay! I never suggested I wouldn’t pay. I did pay and my girlfriend and I left hungry, totally upset by the incident and shaken by the owner’s threat to call police, and in a very bad frame of mind for what we thought would be an enjoyable evening of dinner and a show. The owner should be ashamed!!

2/12/2019

A dining patron from Easton, PA tried Crown Fried Chicken, liked it, and rated it . They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.

2/01/2019

A diner from Easton, PA tried The Bagelsmith, liked it, and rated it . They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.

12/23/2018

An Italian food lover from Bethlehem, PA tried Steve's Pizzeria.

1/05/2019

An Italian chowhound from Bethlehem, PA tried Gagliones and liked it. They liked the food.

12/27/2018

A Halal chowhound from Union, NJ tried Crown Fried Chicken.

11/17/2018

A dining patron from Easton, PA tried Gagliones, liked it, and rated it . They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.

11/10/2018

A diner from US tried Steve's Pizzeria.

11/07/2018

A dining patron from US tried Crown Fried Chicken and liked it.

11/06/2018

A dining patron from Nazareth, PA tried George's Pizzeria and Restaurant in Wilson, liked it, and rated it . They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.

11/01/2018

A diner from US tried La Bella Pizza in Wilson.

American Lunch Dinner

State Cafe & Grill  Restaurant Reviews

State Cafe & Grill is located near the cities of Easton, West Easton, Wilson, Palmer, and Phillipsburg.
People found this by searching for: State Cafe And Grill Easton Pa, State Cafe Easton Pa, Restaurants Near The State Theatre In Easton, State Cafe And Grill, State Cafe Easton, State Cafe In Easton Pa, The State Cafe Easton Menu, and The State Cafe And Grill Menu.