1400 W Lake St
Minneapolis, MN 55408

Stella's Fish Cafe

Neighborhoods: Uptown
Cuisine: Seafood, Cajun, Fish chips

Stella's Fish Cafe is a Seafood, Cajun, and Fish chips restaurant where most Menuism users came for fun with friends, paid between $10 and $25, and tipped between 15% to 18%.

• 11/27/2014

A diner from Chicago, IL tried it.

BananaWoo photo

BananaWoo

Minneapolis, MN

Up and Down With the Times

What has Stella’s Fish Café become? It’s definitely not the same restaurant that it used to be. This could be considered bad or good (nice to keep things fresh, right?), but I’m not sure if I like the ‘new’ Stella’s. Back in its heyday Stella’s served up an awesome amount of seafood and was loved for their open rooftop patio. One of their specials even included free seafood (!!!) during certain happy hour evenings. The disappearance of this amazing deal may be due to the hard economic times, but Stella’s definitely drew a following from this deal and now that it’s gone maybe some of their customers have gone as well.

Personally, Stella’s has been hit or miss for me. When they first opened a few friends and I did an afternoon on the rooftop. We did some oysters on the half shell and cocktails and everything was great! Maybe it had something to do with the energy and the gorgeous weather, but our oysters were fresh, our drinks were refreshing and the service was great. Although the roof top was busy it was still fun and enjoyable. There are no happy hour specials on the roof top, but to take in some sun with some oysters makes the whole deal worth it. The inside is also fun and decorated like a classy sea shanty. There are two levels of tables with twisting metal staircases connecting the two. One negative is the bathroom is on the second level, but there is an elevator, so problem solved.

More recently our visits have become less enjoyable. I went once with my family for lunch. We all really liked the jalapeno skillet corn bread with honey and butter as well as the cheese curds and frickles (deep fried breaded pickles). The rest of the meal wasn’t too memorable. Our server was pleasant enough during this visit, but nothing was spectacular.

On another visit for happy hour beers and apps (see, we gave Stella’s tons of chances), my friends and I experienced awful service and poor food. The place was dead, but it still took us forever to get drinks. Our table was right next to the bar and we watched as the bartender completely ignored our ticket. We did a few apps (mini burgers and cheese curds) which did not impress. The whole restaurant also smelled usually fishy. And yes, I get it, we’re in a fish café, but fresh seafood should never smell fishy in a bad way. Overall the experience was mediocre and we haven’t been compelled to return.

My almost father-in-law is a huge oyster/seafood fan (like me) and I probably wouldn’t take him to Stella’s just on the off chance that we had another poor-smelly-fish experience. Overall, I really do like Stella’s for its ambiance and style, but their making it hard for me to fall in love with their seafood.

PS. I do enjoy that their phone number is 824-TUNA and their fax is 824-CLAM. Oh, the simple joys I find in life.

jaimelane18 photo

jaimelane18

Minneapolis, MN

Excellent jalapeno cornbread and shrimp baskets. The sand...

Excellent jalapeno cornbread and shrimp baskets. The sandwiches tend to be too squishy, though.

Seafood Cajun Fish chips
Mon-Thu 04:30PM - 11:00PM
Fri 04:30PM - 02:00AM
Sat 11:30AM - 02:00AM
Sun 11:30AM - 11:00PM
Premier photo
Premier, the Owner, says:

Stella’s Fish Cafe & Prestige Oyster Bar is a casual seafood restaurant with the soul of a Low-Country lunch counter… part swamp-side supper club.
Specializing in accessibly priced super fresh fish & oysters, coastal Creole specialties, pastas and steaks, Stella’s serves it all up in a warm & lively setting, devoid of pretension or snootiness. Stella’s presents “Lobster Lover’s Sundays” with 1 1/4lb. lobsters for only $19.95 and a Friday “Oyster Orgy” Happy Hour with complimentary oysters, peel-n-eat shrimp & 2-for-1 bar beverages!

Open daily at 11:30am for lunch, with a 10am-2pm Sunday Ragin’ Cajun’ Brunch. Reservations are always accepted for dinner, and don’t miss the late night happy hour and bar atmosphere until 2am.

Pop up to “On Top Of Stella’s” rooftop patio boasting Minneapolis’ Best Skyline View.

Groups Welcome! 3 Banquet Rooms allow for groups of 20-300ppl. With a unique menu and professional staff, your event is a guaranteed success!

From CityGrid:

Stella's Fish Cafe  Restaurant Reviews

Stella's Fish Cafe is located near the cities of Saint Anthny Vlg, St Anthony, and Saint Anthony.
People found this by searching for: Menu For Stellas Fish Cafe In Uptown Minneapolis, Stella's Fish House Ownership, Stella's Fish Cafe Brunch, Lobster Prices In Minneapolis, Stella's Fish Cafe Reviews, Stellas Rooftop Minni, and Stellas Fish Cafe Bouncer.