1339 W Taylor St
Chicago, IL 60607-4706

Sweet Maple Cafe

Neighborhoods: University Village / Little Italy
Cuisine: Brunch, Breakfast, American

Sweet Maple Cafe is a Brunch, Breakfast, and American restaurant where most Menuism users came for fun with friends, paid less than $10, and tipped between 15% to 18%.

• 11/15/2015

A Brunch chowhound from Chicago, IL tried it.

john photo

john

San Jose, CA

big portions, big wait time

Justin brought me here for the continuation of my brunch culinary tour of Chicago. Sweet Maple Cafe is supposed to really popular with the locals, and it was – there was a long wait and lots of ppl standing outside, even at 9am on a Sunday. The wait was also longer than advertised, which got me really hoping that the food was going to be worth it.

Not quite. The ambiance of the place is super cozy, with faded white walls and old flooring and furniture as part of the appeal. Service was brisk and indifferent, which doesn’t match with how “homey” you’d expect a place like this to be. Food portions are big, but the flavor wasn’t all that.

Given the long wait and just “ok” food, I’d probably choose other popular brunch diners over Sweet Maple Cafe next time.

Salmon Cakes and Eggs (Special) at Sweet Maple Cafe

Salmon Cakes and Eggs (Special)

Good eggs and biscuit. Crispy cakes, but a bit dry and tasteless inside.

Taylor Street Omelet at Sweet Maple Cafe

Taylor Street Omelet

Not especially flavorful, nor was it a good mix of ingredients to begin with.

Holiday French Toast at Sweet Maple Cafe

Holiday French Toast

Crispy and soft in all the right places.

Cup of Cheddar Grits at Sweet Maple Cafe

Cup of Cheddar Grits

I’m not a fan of grits, but these were definitely cheddar-ry.

tulips500 photo

tulips500

cozy homestyle breakfast

came here recently for breakfast on a sunday, and the wait was so loooong (+30 min).

food: it’s not fancy/trendy, but more your homemade cookin’. the food is good, but nothing to rave about. i wouldn’t wait (any amount of time) to eat here again.

ambience: small, unassuming, but charming in its own way.

service: quick, attentive.

i’m still puzzled why there were so many people waiting to eat here…

Holiday French Toast at Sweet Maple Cafe

Holiday French Toast

your standard fare french toast – nothing spectacular, but still a good sweet way to start off your morning.

justin photo

justin

Good, but not great

I heard somewhere that Sweet Maple Cafe was supposed to be good and the last time I tried to come the line was too long for me to wait so I had some pretty high expectations.

When you first step in the door, you realize how tiny this place is – it’s no wonder the line is so long. The decor is very down-to-earth and homey with nothing glitzy. Because it’s so small, we had to wait way longer than we anticipated (30+ min at 9am??).

The food appeared to have some southern influence so I was excited to order cheddar grits as my side order. However, while the omelet I had tasted good, it wasn’t top notch omelet-quality like Yolk. Yolk has ruined me for anyone else’s omelets.

Sweet Maple is good, but it’s not great. I’d rather go to one of my usual South Loop brunch places than drive to near the UIC campus.

Taylor Street Omelet at Sweet Maple Cafe

Taylor Street Omelet

Good with the Italian Sausage. The egg is just folded over the ingredients and it’s not that fluffy – very different than Yolk.

Cup of Cheddar Grits at Sweet Maple Cafe

Cup of Cheddar Grits

Cheesy for sure and a pretty large bowl.

YeyeLynvonne photo

YeyeLynvonne

Chicago, IL

Waitings Worth it

Since I love, love, love pancakes, I was surprised that I loved the waffles!

Yeye Lynvonne

Sweet Breakfast Special

Brunch Breakfast West Loop
Sun-Sat 07:00AM - 02:00PM

Sweet Maple Cafe  Restaurant Reviews

Sweet Maple Cafe is located near the cities of Pilsen, Armour Square, Near South Side, Mc Kinley Park, and Near West Side.
People found this by searching for: Sweet Maple Cafe Chicago, Sweet Maple Cafe, Sweet Maple Menu, Sweet Maple Cafe Menu, Sweet Maple Cafe Taylor Street, Taylor Street Brunch, Maple Restaurant In Chicago, Il On Taylor Street, and Sweet Maple Cafe Taylor Street Chicago.