19 Greenwich Ave
New York, NY 10014-3564

Sweetiepie

Neighborhoods: West Village
Cuisine: American, Casual dining, Breakfast

Sweetiepie is a American, Casual dining, and Breakfast restaurant where most Menuism users came for fun with friends, paid between $25 and $50, and tipped between 15% to 18%.

Megster11187 photo

Megster11187

Pittsburgh, PA

Attack of the Portion Control Monster

To conclude my birthday weekend in NY (welcome to the near-mid twenties, me!) my parents treated me, my boyfriend, and 4 of my very stylish NY friends to brunch Greenwich Village, in an attempt to (momentarily) escape the madness of Times Square.

I had found SweetiePie online since obviously I had to plan out everywhere we would eat beforehand (what can I say, I’m organized!), and it looked adorable and a bit off the beaten path. Plus, I’d never been to the Village. I’m a huge fan of brunch, and the website (www.sweetiepierestaurant.com) sold me.

The interior is really adorable – it looks like a 1950’s style soda pop shop, with lots of pink, and mirrors on the ceilings and walls which gave the restaurant a deceptively larger feel.

However, like most things in NY – it’s REALLY expensive and the portions are TINY, to the point of almost shocking. The silver dollar pancakes were cute, but probably amounted to not even 2 medium size pancakes – def not enough to fill me up! The tater tots were good – once again, nothing spectacular – but I would have expected about triple the amount of tots given in a side dish ($6). We ended up ordering 4 orders of tater tots, just so everyone could get a few!

Praise for the French Toast from my girlfriends though the ‘waffles’ were disappointing (just a regular sized circular waffle cut into four chunks). No one seemed totally blown away by their meal, but at least nothing was notably bad.

The coffee and lattes were good – no skim milk at this place, so time to man up! :) The hot chocolate was rich and creamy, rich, and there appeared to be quite a large wine/champagne selection. I ordered a glass of bubbly…and it amounted to about a double shot glass full of wine, for over $11. At least it was good!

Overall – decent food in a really cute place. Waitress was incredibly nice but the service was painfully slow – it took over 1.5 hrs for our food, and nearly 30 minutes for everyone’s drinks. To be fair, there were 8 of us total, but this still seemed to be a long wait. I normally wouldn’t have minded, since I don’t tend to be phased by a wait when I’m with a group, but we were the ONLY party in the restaurant (woohoo, 10am on a Sunday morning!) and a lot of the staff seemed to be standing around.

I will likely not go back to this place, given the portion size and price, but for those who happen to be in the Village, it could be a cute place to maybe go back for a light dessert & drinks, and to see the decor. After reading other reviews online post-visit, people do seem to enjoy the adorable factor and atmosphere (though I think the small portions is a pretty consistent critique). But, to each his/her own :)

Cute! But not nearly enough! - Silver Dollar Pancakes at Sweetiepie

Silver Dollar Pancakes

Pretty good – but then again, nothing spectacular. Liked this dish mainly because it was cute, but I’ve definitely had way better pancakes. Also tiny portions…all the small little pancakes together would have maybe created 2 decently sized pancakes, and $9 seemed a hefty price. Also asked for fruit, which tacked on another $3. Enjoyed my meal but likely won’t be memorable. Would have preferred a little more fluffiness to the pancakes…and more substance! Should have known better by the dish name, I suppose :)

Waffles

Once again, not bad, but totally overpriced since it was just a circular waffle cut into four slices and displayed on the plate. My boyfriend had to ask for more syrup twice (though, to be fair, he is a syrup fiend). Not fluffy and the waffle seemed rather thin.

Trio of Micro Cakes

Beyond me why this was $12 – there were literally 3 one-bite-size ‘cakes’ on the plate. The cake was dry on all three, and I really disliked the orange cake. Lemon cake was really overpowering and the icing made it too sweet. Chocolate wasn’t bad, but the cake was the driest of all. Disappointed, since I LOVE dessert. Maybe just a bad batch?

Roasted Chicken

I didn’t have any (vegetarian!) but my dad had some strong opinions about it! He could count the number of the ‘roasted red bliss potatoes’ he had on his plate (14 teeny teeny tiny potato cubes) and he chicken breasts were no bigger than chicken wings. Needless to say, he needed more food afterward, and he was really disappointed in this dish, especially since it was listed as an entree-size portion at $24. Portion control to a new extreme.

Selection of Cookies

Now THIS was the highlight of the meal, and since it redeemed the small portion size, I’ll give it four stars :) 6-8 (can’t remember!) warm assorted cookies (oatmeal raisin, chocolate chip, peanut butter, sugar) served with hot fudge. REALLY good and at least literally left a good taste in my mouth. I also didn’t share, so perhaps me getting close to full put me in a better mood. Still….$10 seems a lot. But whatever. It’s NY!

Greenwich Village American Casual dining

Sweetiepie  Restaurant Reviews

Sweetiepie is located near the cities of Tribeca, Peck Slip, Canal Street, Trinity, and Financial District.
People found this by searching for: Sweetiepie Nyc Menu, Sweetiepie Brunch Menu, Sweetiepie Brunch, Sweetie Pie Nyc Menu, Silver Dollar Pancakes, Sweetiepie Nyc Brunch, When Did Sweetiepie Closed Nyc 2011, and Sweetiepie Greenwich Village.