2980 Los Feliz Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90039

Tam O'Shanter Inn

Neighborhoods: Atwater Village
Cuisine: Prime Rib, Lunch, Private Parties

Tam O'Shanter Inn is a Prime Rib, Lunch, and Private Parties restaurant where most Menuism users came for fun with friends, paid between $10 and $25, and tipped more than 18%.

Overall
Pros
"Ambience, local history, Walt Disney table, authentic food and fantastic cocktails."
"The guinness"
  • 4/21/2019

A diner from Alhambra, CA tried it and liked it.

• 11/28/2018

A Prime Rib chowhound from Burbank, CA tried it.

• 1/27/2018

A diner from CA tried it and liked it.

• 1/24/2018

A Prime Rib food lover from US tried it, liked it, and rated it . They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.

• 3/05/2017

A diner from South Pasadena, CA tried it, liked it, and rated it . They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.

• 9/30/2016

A dining patron from Burbank, CA tried it, liked it, and rated it . They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.

• 1/09/2016

A Prime Rib food lover from Alhambra, CA tried it.

• 1/04/2015

A dining patron from San Jose, CA tried it and liked it. They liked the food.

• 9/27/2014

A Prime Rib chowhound from San Jose, CA tried it and liked it. They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.

• 8/02/2014

A Prime Rib chowhound from San Jose, CA tried it, liked it, and rated it . They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.

Pros
    The guinness
dking photo

dking

Good Quality Prime Rib in Los Angeles DOES EXIST!

I am still a loyal House of Prime Rib patron in SF, but when I’m in Los Angeles and looking for a quick prime rib fix, I head over to Tam O’Shanters.

What I like about this place is that the prime rib comes as a meal and you don’t have to order the sides a la carte (like at Lawry’s – their sister company).

When choosing the soup or the salad, I recommend the Pear and Candied Walnut Salad. The portion is not even half the size of the
House of Prime Rib mega salad, but the presentation is nice with good, quality ingredients.

Can’t lose with either the creamed corn or the creamed spinach. I’ve tried asking for half and half, but they just end up charging you for an extra portion.

As for the prime rib itself, the quality and portion size is the same as what you would find at either Lawry’s or House of Prime Rib. If either or these two requirements were sub-par, I wouldn’t even bother giving them a review. :P

Note: You can ask for more au jus sauce. It’s a little thicker (like gravy) but still tasty.

Prime Rib - Tam O'Shanter Cut

Served with soup or salad, creamed spinach or creamed corn, Yorkshire pudding and mashed potatoes

guess photo

guess

Bonsall, CA

What it takes to Stay around 85 years...

Dining here is really fun. Food is Great… their Sister Restaurant "Lawry"s The Prime Rib" has a little better food… but nothing has better atmosphere. Service in the Dining Room is Excellent… Service in the Bar is iffy. Prices here are less than the Prime Rib House. You can’t sit in this place and wonder how many of your favorite movie stars might have sat in the same chair. I was hoping that I was sitting where Tom Mix had… or John Wayne… of course. It has been a Hollywood favorite and hangout since the beginning. The Disney people ate here for lunch so often… the called it the commissary. If you visit the Los Angeles area… you have to dine here. This is an absolute must! They have been doing this for 85 years… nobody else can say that. The only reason a restaurant can achieve that… is excellent food… excellent service… excellent value.

Pear And Candied Walnut Salad

This is a treat. Sweet … tangy… mixed greens… wonderful fresh pear… one of the best salads I’ve ever been served.

LADiner photo

LADiner

Hanging in there after all these years

Showed up around 7:30pm w/ no reservation & a couple of kids. Was seated immediately, and the service was prompt and attentive. My wife & I both had fish, which was just as well-prepared and tasty as the beef we’ve had in the past. The walnut and pear salad is terrific, and the kids wolfed their mac & cheese from the childrens’ menu. Recommended.

SavorHour photo

SavorHour

Sherman Oaks, CA

Tavern Fare & Traditional Heritage!

Along Los Feliz Boulevard in the Glendale area of Los Angeles sits a tavern well known for its customer loyalty, gracious service, and flavorsome Scottish favorites. If you’re having a hankering for a bit of European fare (and maybe an ale or two), Tam O’ Shanter is where you need to be. Celebrating 91 years of successful business this year, Tam O’ Shanter is not just the oldest restaurant in Los Angeles, but it is now owned by the Lawry’s Restaurants, Inc. And if those facts aren’t enough to convince you of the reputation of this eatery, then take a look and see why we recommend it to our readers below. Serving up palatable plates, divine sandwiches, and even a tempting Happy Hour weekdays from 4 PM to 7 PM in their tavern, you will find some of the tastiest and best prepared classic European fare around.

The restaurant’s tutor-style exterior transports patrons to the classic era of British taverns, while inside, an impressive Scottish tartan collection lines the walls. Eclectic European décor from old world flags to a period-appropriate uniformed staff to the tavernesque bar when you enter this humble establishment will make you think you’re really somewhere else. Old friends gather at the bar for their daily brew, and cordial servers are helpful and efficiently take care to make sure you feel at home. The old-style quaint ambiance is an attraction all to itself. Dimly lit inside, your eyes will have to adjust for a moment. But as they do, you’ll be pleased that you decided to stop by.

As our readers know, we are not beer connoisseurs. Therefore, we opted for a rum cocktail, a Cape Cod, and a Greyhound upon our arrival. (Something different for me, as I usually only drink Greyhounds when I’m indulging in oysters on the half shell!). The semi-private booth-like area we chose to occupy while at the restaurant was composed of wood-paneled walls, European memorabilia hanging from a wall over our table, and two large extremely comfortable leather wingback chairs, which was unique and unlike anything we’d ever seen before. The change of scenery and pace was nice. And we were prepared to settle in and take some time to peruse the menu as well as enjoy some time together after a long day of meetings.

Tam O’ Shanter is filled with interesting and intriguing articles of Scottish heritage, old world flags hanging proudly overhead, dark-beamed ceilings, and eclectic light fixtures everywhere you look. Tables and chairs are well worn with centuries of filled dining rooms, but exude a charm and are full of character. There is a sense of friendship and family and a genuine love for one another here. That much we definitely felt while there. Not many establishments possess that sense. But this one certainly does.

There are several dining rooms inside Tam O’ Shanter. The perception is that of being on a huge Scottish home of years gone by. Huge brick fireplaces become conversation pieces during dinners among friends and family, while a glassed-in area allows for natural light to flow inside during the day. Then there’s the tavern. Upon entering the restaurant, you will come upon the bar and lounge, where an enjoyable Ale & Sandwich Bar menu provides items you wouldn’t normally expect.

Above, we started with the Fish & Chips selection from the Ale & Sandwich Bar menu. Though not huge fried food lovers, my husband couldn’t resist getting it. And rightfully so, as it turned out. The tender flaky local Cod inside a perfectly battered light crisp exterior was extremely gratifying. A touch of tartar sauce and a squeeze of lemon with each bite was just perfect. The hand-cut fries paired nicely with this presentation.

It had been a long time since my husband and I have enjoyed a wonderful beef brisket dinner. We were reminded of that when we took our first bite of Tam O’ Shanter’s Beef Brisket Sandwich. Succulent, fall-off-the-sandwich incredible!

The corned beef sandwich from the Ale & Sandwich Bar is a flavor-filled satisfaction in between two soft slices of rye bread. Other breads are available, but for us, rye bread just GOES with corned beef. We added a touch of Thousand Island dressing for an added zing.

We also tried the Mac & Cheese side, which was amply portioned for two people. The flavors of smoked Gouda and farmhouse Cheddar with herbed bread crumbs baked on top created a creamy, crisp, and filling experience that didn’t remain for long after we took our first few bites. Definitely one of our top five Mac & Cheese dishes anywhere that we’ve relished in for some time.

Along with a sensational list of hand-carved sandwiches prepared fresh in front of your eyes at the Ale & Sandwich Bar, and discounted Happy Hour prices on well drinks and select ales, Tam O’ Shanter also inspires with live music on Fridays and Saturdays starting at 8 PM. Great British fare, lots of options on an extensive menu, hand-carved savory sandwiches prepared fresh and made to order, plus live entertainment to keep your toe tapping and a smile on your face.

◾ESTABLISHMENT / DECOR: Consisting of dimly-lit rooms, a popular tavern and sandwich bar with wood-paneled walls and eclectic homage to European style and Scottish and Irish heritage hanging on the walls of the eatery, a charm and enchanting character is pronounced here.

◾FOOD / DRINK: Some of the most amazing Fish & Chips we’ve ever experienced, a beef brisket sandwich to rival any of the brisket dishes we’ve enjoyed in the past, flavorsome cocktails from the tavern, and a menu that stands out amongst the crowd in terms of traditional Scottish, Irish, and European fare.

◾LOCATION: Tam O’ Shanter is located in the Glendale area of Los Angeles at 2980 Los Feliz Boulevard, Los Angeles CA 90039.

◾HOURS: Tam O’ Shanter’s Ale & Sandwich Bar is available daily from 11 AM to 12 AM, with Happy Hour on select libation and edibles weekdays from 4 PM until 7 PM, and Late-Night Happy Hours on Sundays through Thursdays from 9 PM to 11 PM. Dinner is available in the main restaurant Monday through Thursday from 5 PM to 9 PM, Fridays from 5 PM until 10 PM, Saturdays from 4 PM to 10 PM, and Sundays from 4 PM to 9 PM. Sunday brunch is served 10:30 AM until 2:30 PM.

◾SERVICE / STAFF: Efficient and friendly servers will excel in delighting your requests and ensuring that guests are comfortable and happy.

◾PRICE / VALUE: Fairly priced for the quality of the cuisine and enjoyable unique ambiance.

◾CORKAGE FEE: The corkage fee at Tam O’ Shanter is $15 per 750mL bottle. That charge is waived if you purchase a bottle off the restaurant’s wine list.

◾CONTACT INFO: Phone: (323) 664-0228, Website: www.lawrysonline.com

◾PARKING: Starting at 5 PM, the valet service begins. Before then, however, there is ample complimentary parking in the spacious parking lot.

◾PRICING: Weekdays from 4 PM to 7 PM, Tam O’ Shanter offers discounted well drinks and selected ales in the bar and Ale & Sandwich Bar areas. We sipped on a Cape Cod, a Greyhound, and a Rum & Coke all for just $5 apiece during Happy Hour at the bar. The side of Mac & Cheese was priced at $5 on the Ale & Sandwich Bar lunch menu (normally $7 after 5 PM), while the hand-carved Corned Beef Sandwich was offered at $12. The Beef Brisket Sandwich was just a dollar more at $13. Sandwiches from the Ale & Sandwich Bar also come with a selection of daily sides. We enjoyed the peanut coleslaw and Tam O’ Shanter’s popular potato salad. The Fish & Chips offering is available on the restaurant’s dinner menu for $21.

ocfooddiva photo

ocfooddiva

Anaheim, CA

Tam O’Shanter celebrates its 90th anniversary in Los Angeles

It all started back on June 26, 1922, when Lawrence L. Frank and Walter Van de Kamp opened Tam O’Shanter. It became one of the first restaurants in the country to offer drive-in service. Distinctive Storybook-style architecture designed by Hollywood set designer Harry Oliver. The Tam was named after the famous poem, “Tam O’Shanter”, by Scottish poet Robert Burns. The Scottish motif is evident on the interior from Scottish medieval weapons, crests, kilts, tartans, and Coats of Arms. Hamburger steaks were their specialty for almost 40 years until the introduction of their current specialty, Prime Rib, in the late 1950s. If you have never been to a Lawry’s restaurant and not had their Prime Rib, you are missing out. It is the best in the country – always tender, juicy and consistent no matter which location you go to. It tastes exactly the same and I’m not kidding when I say, “You can cut it with a butter knife.” The Tam has a casual atmosphere with Scottish charm.

Summer Market Salad

Summer Market Salad was maché, confit heirloom tomatoes, sweet corn, smoked bacon, toasted almond and sea salt brittle, and creamy goat’s milk cheese dressing. This was amazing! The greens were vibrant and tasted like they were just picked from the field. The corn was sweet and crisp. The tomatoes were slightly tart, lending an almost berry taste to them. The almond brittle was slightly sweet and salt made a lovely balance. The goat’s milk cheese dressing was absolutely amazing! It was almost like a buttermilk dressing with a slight goat essence. Thumbs up, way up!

Roasted Colorado Lamb T-bones

Roasted Colorado Lamb T-bones was served with fava bean and mushroom hash, fingerling potatoes, smoked tomato coulis, and crispy leeks. The lamb was perfectly grilled to a medium rare. It was tender and juicy. The smoked tomato coulis complemented the lamb with a smoky, sweet flavor unlike the typical pairing of mint jelly. Chef Mark took a lot of time to perfect the flavor and definitely dressed this dish to the nines. The fava bean, mushrooms, and potatoes were the perfect vegetable pairing by accentuating the lamb flavor. Thumbs up, way up!

Pan Roasted Local Sea Bass

Pan Roasted Local Sea Bass was served with sautéed summer vegetables, sweet corn puree, and crispy carrots. The sea bass was flaky, tender, and succulent with a buttery flavor. The vegetables were fresh and sautéed to perfection. The sweet corn puree made a sweet sauce and paired well with the fish. The colors were vibrant, like a summer day in a dish – orange carrots, yellow corn puree, green asparagus. It just made me feel happy. There were a lot of different textures to keep your mouth occupied in a good way. Thumbs up!

C.C. Brown’s Hot Fudge Sundae

C.C. Brown’s Hot Fudge Sundae is prepared tableside with Dandy Don’s vanilla ice cream, toasted almonds, whipped cream, and C.C. Brown’s Hot Fudge. The vanilla ice cream was so creamy and tasted like homemade. You can taste the cream as it coats your tongue with luxury. The hot fudge was amazing! It was so rich, chocolaty, and they give you far more than you need but you still eat it all. I’m serious! The fresh whipped cream and toasted almonds were the perfect touch to this traditional dessert. Lawry’s actually bought the rights to produce C.C. Brown’s signature hot fudge after C.C. Brown went out of business in the 1990s. Keeping family recipes alive and kicking is what Tam O’Shanter is all about. Thumbs up, way up!

tobytoby photo

tobytoby

Ruined my Mother's Day.

Server: Wyatt L (#195)

What a horrible experience we had today at Tam O’Shanter. When I made the reservation yesterday I asked if I could use my coupons. The woman who took the reservation said “Sure!”.

When we arrived the restaurant, I showed our server, Wyatt, the coupons and he said that you didn’t accept them today. I told him that I was told when I made the reservations that I could use them. He said “Well, if they said you could…” So my husband and I ordered dinner.

When we were done, we put our coupon on the tab and Wyatt said “You can’t use these today”. He had said earlier we could. We would not have ordered had he said that in the first place.

I told the manager what happened, and he said , “Well, someone made a mistake”. End of story.

The coupon does not specify the “black out dates” for the coupon. The coupon states “Not valid on holidays, for special events or with any other offer or discount”. Mother’s day is NOT a legal holiday. That is why I asked when I originally made the reservation.

Tam O’Shanter ruined my Mother’s Day.

fish

bad.

Prime Rib Lunch Sandwich Bar
Sat 11:00AM - 04:00PM (Ale & Sandwich Bar)
Sun-Fri 11:00AM - 09:00PM (Ale & Sandwich Bar)
Sun 10:30AM - 02:30PM (Brunch)
Mon-Thu 05:00PM - 09:00PM (Dinner)
Fri-Sat 05:00PM - 10:00PM (Dinner)
Sun 04:00PM - 09:00PM (Dinner)
Mon-Fri 11:00AM - 02:00PM (Lunch)
Brjj6chfqr3islaby-gaa7

Bvh3fifuir3jkkaby-gaa7
lovelypolarbear

Fullerton, CA

Tam O'Shanter Inn  Restaurant Reviews

Tam O'Shanter Inn is located near the cities of Civic Center Little Tokyo, Sanford, Dockweiler, Windsor Hills, and August F Haw.
People found this by searching for: Tam O'shanter Menu, Tam O Shanter Restaurant, Tam O Shanter Dessert Menu, Tam O'shanter Restaurant Prices, Tam O'shanty, Tam O Shanter Menu, Tam O'shanters, and Tom O Shanter Restaurant Los Feliz.