Taste Of Italy

Neighborhoods: St. Armands
Cuisine: Italian, Catering, Lunch

Taste Of Italy is a Italian, Catering, and Lunch restaurant where most Menuism users came for a meal on the go, paid between $10 and $25, and tipped between 15% to 18%.

• 5/13/2015

A diner from Miami, FL tried it, liked it, and rated it . They liked the food, liked the service, and didn't like the ambiance.

• 8/28/2014

A dining patron from Atlanta, GA tried it.

• 12/08/2013

A dining patron from Sarasota, FL tried it, liked it, and rated it . They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.

• 3/08/2013

An Italian food lover from Miami, FL tried it and liked it.

TerrenceC photo

TerrenceC

St Paul, MN

Worst Experience of Service in Sarasota

So we had the worst passive aggressive experience tonight. My wife and I were the only people of color in the restaurant and I asked the waitress do we seat our selves and she said yes have a seat anywhere. Well we sat and we waited and we waited. After 30 minutes the gentleman at the next table went to get the manager to inform that we hadn’t been seen for an order. The manager came out himself five minutes later and looked at us, never saying a word, cleaned the table next to us on the patio and went back in. After another 10 minutes of still waiting we just left. The gentleman and his wife next to us told the manager they should be ashamed and left as well. You would think they have the least amount of self respect, but clearly they have archaic thinking!

This was the response we got from the owner Shawn Holley:

Shawn Holley: That’s a bunch of bullshit!! I’m sorry you had a bad experience, but don’t call us racist. Maybe we were busy, maybe the waitress just lost her father, maybe you’re just an ass hat.

My response: You’re so sad Shawn to resort to that language. Perhaps if I was speculating then your point would be valid. Unfortunately this wasn’t an isolated incident with someone having a bad day but all 3 employees in the restaurant that night couldn’t be having the same bad day conveniently, so much so that, not just the white couple sitting next to us said something not once but twice and two tables were seated next to us and served after we got there. Some times you have to own the mistake and learn from it, but let’s not continue as I stated, to be ‘passive aggressive’. Gotta love when you prove my point. I’ll be posting this as well to Yelp and the BBB. This is definitely not going to help your case. It’s even more hilarious that you posted this message over a year later which shows your importance to reviews. Hope this all works out for you.

Shawn Holley: Working great, thanks for your concern. Please come back and ask for Shawn or Donnie.

Reply · 2 hrs
Shawn Holley: Sorry, we would love to rectify the situation. Free dinner for you and yours.

My response: Glad things are working for you, wouldn’t want your business to be negatively impacted. The point I was making was to give attention to what easily could’ve been conveyed a number of ways. Your response was inappropriate at the least and shows what you think of your brand to not only me but all others that will view this on Yelp, Urban Spoon and the BBB. I’ve been to Sarasota, FL a number of times for business in the year that it took you to respond, and would never patronize there again. I appreciate the offer however, a free meal isn’t what I was looking for.

Shawn Holley: I was just kidding. I honestly believe you have the wrong place. There Is No Way it happened here. Report it to who ever you want. There is no reason to throw race into it when it’s obvious that the waitress made a mistake. It happens. Good thing we don’t rely on negative people’s business. Check out all of the other reviews. I think we’ll do just fine without you. If you need the BBB’S phone number please let me know.

TheLilFox photo

TheLilFox

Sarasota, FL

Horrible Place! dont waste your money!!

I ordered a stromboli to be delivered to my work. When i got it i started to eat and noticed it had raw dough in it. Immediately i called them back to try and resolve the issue and he said they werent going to fix the problem and hung up on me. I called back and he threatened to call the cops and have me arrested for harassment. So bottom line is

1: i got undercooked food i couldnt eat
2: they would not refund for their mistake
3: he threatened to have me arrested cause i wanted them to fix the problem??!?

Terrible customer service and undercooked food. Dont waste your time here, dont give them your hard earned money cause when they mess up your out that money and they will not give it back!!

Meat Stromboli

1: i got undercooked food i couldnt eat
2: they would not refund for their mistake
3: he threatened to have me arrested cause i wanted them to fix the problem??!?

SarahJo photo

SarahJo

Myakka City, FL

3 Strikes and they're out!

After three visits to ATaste of Italy, my husband and I have pledged to never go there again. Although the food was fresh and tasted good, we left with a “bad taste in our mouths” for the last time.

1. The owner was rude and unprofessional when he stopped a person from using his restroom because the person was not a “paying customer.” This was followed by a complaint about how much the water bill costs him each month…something you have to take into account when running a business on an upscale island on Florida’s west coast.

2. A $9.00 calzone did not come with dipping sauce, and we were charged $1.00 for about 2 Tablespoons. Stingy business practice.

3. When we ordered water, we were told that they had only bottled water unless we wanted it from “the sink.” Not very good presentation. SO, we ordered soda, and the menu stated clearly that was ONLY 1 FREE REFILL. And when the glasses came almost full of ice with a little soda squeezed in the cracks, I felt another dose of Stingy vibe. As a side note I saw the waitress open a bottle of water and split it between two ladies sitting at the next table. A few sips each at the end of a long, hot Florida sunny day won’t go very far.

4. There was only ONE waitress for the whole place. She was responsible for every table…around 8 tables at point. She worked very hard and we were sure to tip her well, not punishing her for her boss’ behavior, but everything took a long time.

5. We were there over an hour and a half…..waiting for one calzone and one pizza, which, along with our two sodas, ran us over $33.00 BEFORE tip.

In short: too much time and too much money for not enough value, customer service, and professionalism.

Try CARAGUILO’S on Palm Avenue in Sarasota

Calzone

10/23/2017

A Cafe food lover from Bradenton, FL tried The Rosemary in Rosemary District and liked it. They liked the food.

10/22/2017

An Irish food lover from Tampa, FL tried Bennigan's.

10/21/2017

A dining patron from Englewood, FL tried Guerrero's Mexican.

10/21/2017

A Chinese chowhound from Sarasota, FL tried China One.

10/20/2017

A dining patron from Sarasota, FL tried Pizza Hut.

10/08/2017

A diner from Sarasota, FL tried Boston Market in South Gate.

10/06/2017

A Korean chowhound from US tried Korean SSAM BAR.

10/04/2017

A diner from Dungarvan, 27 tried Hemingway's Restaurant in St. Armands, liked it, and rated it . They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.

10/03/2017

A diner from Sarasota, FL tried Maximillian's Cafe in Gillespie Park.

10/02/2017

A Mexican chowhound from US tried Guerrero's Mexican.

Italian Outdoor seating Parking

Taste Of Italy  Restaurant Reviews

People found this by searching for: Taste Of Italy Sarasota, Taste Of Italy Sarasota Menu, Taste Of Italy Sarasota Fl, Taste Of Italy Venice Fl, A Taste Of Italy Sarasota Florida, Taste Of Italy St. Armands, Taste Of Italy St Armands, and Taste Of Italy St Armands Menu.