2549 Lyndale Ave S
Minneapolis, MN 55405

The Bulldog Restaurant

Neighborhoods: Lowry Hill East
Cuisine: Bar Food, Burgers, Traditional

The Bulldog Restaurant is a Bar Food, Burgers, and Traditional restaurant where most Menuism users came for fun with friends, paid between $25 and $50, and tipped between 15% to 18%.

• 4/26/2021

A Bar Food chowhound from US tried it.

BananaWoo photo

BananaWoo

Minneapolis, MN

Bar before Restaurant

The Bulldog in Uptown is definitely a bar before it is a restaurant. The food is typical bar food, but it’s actually on the higher end quality wise from what I’ve experienced.

Located on the busy street of Lyndale, parking is usually a hassle. You can park on the side streets, but be prepared to walk a bit. If I lived more in the neighborhood I would consider the Bulldog to be a decent local hangout.

The inside is dimly lit, with about 3 sections of seating. There is one in the back near the restroom, the middle area houses the bar and the front area is near the windows. The whole place could probably house about 60 people comfortably. There is also an enclosed patio where there is seating during the summer time and heat lamps during the winter to keep the smokers warm. The patio faces Lyndale so it can get a little noisy, probably not a place to choose for an intimate romantic evening.

They have a decent selection of taps and bottles including seasonal selections. Pints are average for Uptown at about 4-5 bucks a pop. Happy hour is from 3pm – 7pm daily where you get a dollar off taps and bottles excluding Belgians. They also have a daily lunch special from 11am – 2pm where buying a hotdog gets you a free beer or soda.

I’ve heard other people say the service is rude, but I’ve never had any serious problems. I tend to sit at the bar where the bartender can see me and my empty glass. The one bartender that is usually there when I visit has been pleasant, not overly friendly, but it’s a bar for heaven’s sake. However, my sister had a particularly bad experience with one of the bouncers regarding showing ids and has decided she will never return to this location. My point being there has been bad and good, but if you come here with the attitude that you’re just hanging out in a bar you will most likely be satisfied.

The food is an interesting mixture of bar and picnic-like food. Like I said I think of the Bulldog as is bar before restaurant, but some of their menu selections look pretty interesting. A couple that have caught my eye are the Chicago Style Italian Beef and the B.E.L.T. Sandwich which is a BLT with the addition of a fried egg. I plan on trying the B.E.L.T. or the Stinky Dog (hotdog topped with blue cheese, onions, garlic and spicy brown mustard) come my next visit.

I’ve just taken part in the apps so I’ll talk about those. The Bavarian Pretzels – great bar food. Two soft, warm pretzels served with spicy mustard. At $4.50 it’s a great way to fill your beer belly with a sponge of sorts. The Stadium Nachos were a surprise to me. Not being a huge fan of nachos in general, I actually enjoyed these guys. Your choice of beef or chicken served with cheese sauce, jalapenos and salsa. A huge pile, great to share. Lastly, the Bulldog serves up an array of seasoned fries and tater tots. You can choose from plain to chili cheese to truffle. I’m a big fan of the Cajun, $3.50 for a basket.

City Pages and the Examiner gave the Bulldog great reviews, but then again the Examiner raved about the Red Dragon (yikes) so…
I’d be down for a beer and some apps at the Bulldog, but it probably wouldn’t be my first choice just to dine. With the crowded quarters it would be difficult to host a large group. If I’m in the neighborhood meeting up with a couple friends at the Bulldog is generally a safe bet for a laid back atmosphere and decently priced food and drink. It does tend to get a little crazy during the weekends.

foodcritic_mn photo

foodcritic_mn

Minneapolis, MN

don't waste your mooney

If you want to be treated rudely and threatened if you complain, then this place is definitely for you. In their tiny cramped bar area you can enjoy the rude treatment and dismissive condescension from their wait staff, and when they get your order wrong (don’t worry—they will) and you ask them to fix it, it will be your fault entirely. Expect them to use profanity on complainers and to physically threaten and intimidate anyone who objects to their poor treatment.
In terms of value for money, you’d be better off eating out of a garbage can (likely healthier and cleaner too)—when your order does finally arrive, expect to feel ripped off. The portions will be small enough that you’ll wonder what you’re really paying for, the quality of the ingredients will be stale, and you’ll just feel like a fool for going there in the first place.

Bar Food Burgers Traditional

The Bulldog Restaurant  Restaurant Reviews

The Bulldog Restaurant is located near the cities of Saint Anthny Vlg, St Anthony, and Saint Anthony.
People found this by searching for: The Bulldog Nutrition, Minneapolis, Bulldogs Minneapolis, Bulldog Lyndale Avenue, Bulldogs Restaurants Mn, The Bulldog Restaurant, Bulldog Restaurant 2549 Lyndale Ave S, and Bulldog Restaurant Minneapolis.