1401 S Oak Knoll Ave
Pasadena, CA 91106-4508

The Dining Room

Neighborhoods: South Pasadena
Cuisine: American, Contemporary, American (New)

• 3/11/2014

A diner from San Jose, CA tried it and liked it.

mh2mh photo

mh2mh

white glove

DineLA Restaurant Week.

Stellar. Simply stellar.

The tables are spaced far apart so you have privacy. The decor is quiet elegance. The service was top notch. In fact, from the time you see the valet guys, all the way through the hotel, and into the restaurant, you are treated like you are their top priority guest.

Dinner:
Amuse: kanpachi with micro greens. It was good.

1. Squash Blossom Tempura – Stuffed with Brandade, Microgreens and Romesco Sauce. So flavorful, crispy, delicous.
I tried my friend’s stuffed baby squid, it was good, but I liked mine better—more flavor from the brandade.

2. Catalan Cod – Torta Espanola, French Green Beans, Chorizo, Brown Clamshell Mushrooms, Escabeche and Olive Oil Chive Broth. Oh my god, the cod was just perfect. So light, and it flaked just right, perfectly cooked fish. The green beans were cut into thin pieces lengthwise and wrapped into a small bundle with a piece of chive.
I tried my friend’s pheasant, also perfectly cooked, but I still liked mine better.

Pre-dessert: chocolate ice cream/sorbet? raspberry puree, and something on the bottom. I was kind of obsessed with the plate this was served in, kept thinking I’d never go through all this trouble at home so I would never have a use for that plate that seemed to have been made just to serve this pre-dessert.

3. Milk Chocolate and Cardamom Mousse – With Banana Fritter and Myer’s Rum Ice Cream. Everything was minty. I couldn’t even taste the cardamom.
I tried my friend’s Poached Pear and Hazelnut Cake – With Dulce de Leche Mousse and Creme Fraiche Ice Cream. Again, it was very minty.
Their desserts didn’t quite live up to the other courses.

At the end of this meal, I had a newfound appreciation for microgreens. It was the perfect way to add a touch of very welcome greens to the dishes.

End with some mignardises. You know, those teeny sweets high end restos bring out before the bill. I love this ending to dinner, I get giddy when I see the mignardises.

Is it worth going back at full price? Absolutely.

The final touch: when the valet brings my car up, he asked me if I’d like a bottle of water to go. Now that is a first.

American Contemporary American (New)

The Dining Room  Restaurant Reviews

The Dining Room is located near the cities of South Pasadena and San Marino.
People found this by searching for: The Tap Room Pasadena and The Dining Room Pasadena.