The Diplomat

(Near the intersection of E Lemon Ave and S Myrtle Ave/W Lemon Ave)

Cuisine: Mediterranean, Greek, Bar

diplomattavern photo

diplomattavern

Monrovia, CA

Mediterranean Restaurant and Bar in Monrovia, CA

whiskey/bourbon guy at heart so the vibe on this place as you look at bourbon/whiskey logo’s on the windows got me very excited. The ambiance inside is very nice. My only real dig (I did give it a 5 star rating as I don’t believe in dinging for this suggestion) is that their whiskey/bourbon selection is very light given they give off the brown spirit vibe in the windows, you see a great looking bar as you walk through the door but the selection is light. Their mixed drinks are fantastic, some great folks behind the bar. But I really think if they are going to throw out a prohibition vibe, they need to increase their whiskey/bourbon selection 10 fold to match the expectations one might have walking in. But man, that paper crane drink is off the charts.

Food – this is fantastic for sure. The go to is the Combo for 2. The chicken is incredibly tender and moist, the ground beef kabob is fantastic and the steak is down right good. You have to also order the Spinach Appetizer as a side. I don’t know what they do, but I normally will not eat spinach. This stuff I could eat all day long.

Service does take a while, but I think it is more in that they really take pride in preparing the meals and food, so order a drink or two and sit back and chill out.

Weekend nights with the band. This is something I am really mixed on. The entire restaurant /bar inside is small. There are marble/tile floors so the sound in there is loud to begin with. Throw a band in the small room to the side and it gets down right loud as all heck. You can in no way have a conversation no matter where you are inside. So if you are cool with that and your focus is to drink and listen to the music, they all is good. But if you are just trying to find a place to chill out, have a few drinks and a conversation with those you are with, ummm, your night gonna be happy when a band is playing.

All in all, great spot. I really wanted to write a crappy review because I don’t want people to go there so I can always get in and not be overcrowded, but they deserve it. Wonderfully friendly people who are doing it right.

Mediterranean Greek Bar
Tue-Thu 11:00AM - 12:00AM
Fri-Sat 11:00AM - 02:00AM
Sun 11:00AM - 10:00PM
Thu 11:00AM - 12:00AM ($2 off any beer)
Sun 11:00AM - 10:00PM ($5 Glass of Sangria)
Sun 11:00AM - 10:00PM ($6 Glass of Mimosa)
Sun-Sat 03:00PM - 05:00PM (Happy Hour)
Sun-Sat 09:00PM - 12:00AM (Happy Hour)
Tue 11:00AM - 12:00AM (Tequila $20)

The Diplomat  Restaurant Reviews

The Diplomat is located near the cities of Duarte, Bradbury, Arcadia, Sierra, and Sierra Madre.