The Publican

Neighborhoods: West Loop
Cuisine: American, Lunch, Catering

The Publican is a American, Lunch, and Catering restaurant where most Menuism users came for fun with friends, paid between $25 and $50, and tipped more than 18%.

jinkwell photo

jinkwell

Beer, Pork and Oysters

Extensive beer list? Check. Awesome raw bar? Check. Variety of pork cuts? Check. Three for three equals epic win.

I had the oyster sampler and it was an orgiastic journey through bivalve mollusk heaven. Yes, those slimy, briny sea creatures! Some, like the kumamoto were crisp and clean while others, like rappahannock were rather creamy. Mussels were lightly salty, but the real kicker was the broth. We were provided a loaf of crusty bread to mop up the buttery broth.

The real celebrity of Publican is the meat selection. Say what you will about the beer and the seafood, but the meats provided, specifically of the pork variety, are heavy-hitters. We had an order of the Potee and we were undone. A barrage of sausage, tenderloin and veal breast. Gawd…

December 28, 2010

sooo tasty!

the Publican is easily one of the best restaurants i have eaten at. i have visited many many times and talked with most of the staff and have eaten my way through most the menu. Michael, Kimberly, Jordan... thank you!
July 14, 2010

What is all the hype? Not impressed at all

I was excited to try this place after taking a look at all the great reviews. However, after having incredibly slow service by our server as well as being completely confused by the menu selection I changed my mind. The server told me it…

Bongo Room

Romantic in Lincoln Park

Hortex 2

Polish in Dunning

9/20/2017

A diner from Chicago, IL tried Long John Silver's in South Shore.

9/20/2017

A dining patron from Chicago, IL tried Glass Dome Hickory Pit (CLOSED) in Bridgeport.

9/20/2017

A Mexican food lover from Evanston, IL tried Taqueria y Restaurant Cd. Hidalgo in Rogers Park, liked it, and rated it . They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.

9/19/2017

An American chowhound from Chicago, IL tried Home of The Hoagy in Morgan Park.

9/19/2017

A Chicken chowhound from IL tried Whale Fish & Chicken in Austin.

9/18/2017

A diner from Indianapolis, IN tried Logalbo's Pizzeria in Lakeview.

9/18/2017

A diner from Chicago, IL tried Oriental Chef in Auburn Gresham, liked it, and rated it . They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.

9/18/2017

A diner from Nashville, TN tried Jibaritos y Mas in Logan Square, liked it, and rated it . They liked the food, didn't like the service, and liked the ambiance.

Pros
I've been here a few times. I know food is delicious here.
Cons
I leave in the suburbs. But when I have a doctor visit I go out of my way to stop there because the food is delicious. Unfortunately this last time I had to have it to go and when I got to work I realized they gave me the order wrong. I didn't get what I
9/17/2017

A chowhound from Elmhurst, IL tried Blue Mesa (CLOSED) in Lincoln Park.

9/17/2017

A Mexican food lover from Houston, TX tried Taqueria La Kermes in Little Village, liked it, and rated it . They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.

American Lunch Dinner
Tips
  • Every day but Sunday, the restaurant serves an edited menu of oysters (as in plump, salty and smoky Hog Islands from California) and ham-based dishes (think pork rinds) from 3:30pm to 5pm prior to dinner service.
  • Those looking for a bit more privacy should grab one of the booths with swinging doors. If you're in a hanging-out kind of mood, score one of the stand-up tables at the front of the restaurant.
  • If beer's your thing, this is your place. There's 100 bottled ales, lagers, stouts and ciders, plus 10 beers on tap.

The Publican  Restaurant Reviews

The Publican is located near the cities of Pilsen, Armour Square, Near South Side, Mc Kinley Park, and Near West Side.
People found this by searching for: The Publican Restaurant, Epic Restaurant Restaurant, 837 W Fulton, 837 W. Fulton, Parking Near 837 W Fulton Market Chicago, 837 W. Fulton Market, and 837 W Fulton Market.