61 North Ave Nw
Atlanta, GA 30308-2166

The Varsity

Neighborhoods: Downtown
Cuisine: American, Catering, Lunch

The Varsity is a American, Catering, and Lunch restaurant where most Menuism users came for fun with friends, paid less than $10, and tipped less than 15%.

Pros
"Everything"
  • 9/27/2015

An American chowhound from Conyers, GA tried it, liked it, and rated it . They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.

Pros
    Everything
QB
cliff photo

cliff

Mountain View, CA

A very interesting experience

Now this was an interesting place for more than one reason.

Let’s start with the place itself. Simply put, I’d never seen a place like it before. It’s decorated sort of like a diner (not unlike In N Out burger in California), but it is HUGE. Simply HUMONGOUS…the counter that you order from is so long, it’s more like the counters at airport terminals. There are about 6 rooms, each of which could be a restaurant in themselves. On top of that, there are even parking spots with car hop service (which I’d never seen before…I didn’t know these even existed anymore today), so you can park, order, eat and then go without ever leaving your car.

The second thing about this place was the service…it was friendly and just fine, but the thing that made it stand out was that all the cashiers greet you with “what’ll ya have?” And since there are so many of them (like I said, the counter was HUGE), you get echos and reverberations of “What’ll ya have?” throughout the entire place. It’s amazing to me that they can be so enthusiastic and friendly in such a job, but perhaps that’s just Southern hospitatlity for you (try to get anyone in a job like that in California to be that cheerful without paying him $100/hour…good luck).

Finally, what about the food? The best way to explain it, in my opinion, is: take McDonald’s, add some additional fresh ingredients, and viola. Their burger is basically a McDonald’s burger, but you add some real lettuce, tomato etc. and there you have it. That adds up to a burger which is actually remarkably tasty, though nothing amazing.

They have a variety of other foods, including chicken fingers, pulled pork sandwiches and chili cheese dogs that were all ni the realm of “Good, solid food, nothing amazing.”

The one exception to this was the thing they are known for: onion rings. My opinion? These were definitely solid onion rings, and I might even say they are the best onion rings I’ve ever had…but that doesn’t mean they’re THAT good. These onion rings are probably only a little better than your average onion ring (in other words, there’s not a lot of variation in the quality of onion rings…they’re almost always good).

One other thing stood out to me: their ice cream. I’m not sure what they do to their ice cream, but it is extra creamy and tastes great. I’m sure it’s bascially extra fat they add to it, but whatever…it’s awesome.

All in all, a very unique and interesting place, and some decent food at a reasonable price.

barnibear photo

barnibear

Bartow, FL

'What'll you have'

What can I say, there’s better food, less crowd, less noise other places – but it’s ok and it’s supposed to be the place to go at least once – Atlanta “institution”/tradition. I noticed they still have car hop service area which might be good idea, but our Atlanta buddies felt we had to experience going inside. Large area, folks pushing up to the order area, staff hollerin “what’ll ya have” (that’s the ‘mantra’). I heard the place might hold about 800 at a time, hopefully I’ll never see that in person! For goodness sake, when games are going on, I think I’d stay away! Once you get your order in, it doesn’t take long, but know what you want before you get up there! They do keep the food moving fast. It’s not a place for the “faint of heart”—need more stamina than I have to try to go often. I’m always glad to see/find a place that’s been around a long time and this one qualifies for that!

2 Chili Burgers, fry or ring, reg drink

I’ve had worse, greasy is part of the deal on lot of burgers most places – it wasn’t bad – fries a little soggy, but only way I don’t like fries is “burnt” .. the orange drink was pretty good.

2 Chili Dogs, fry or ring, reg drink

Husband seemed to enjoy his “chili dawgs” – his rings were a little greasy but not bad.

Bacon Dbl. Chsbrgr. ff or ring, reg drink

our friends enjoyed their c-c burgers (one with fries, one with O-rings)

mfcrudele photo

mfcrudele

Atlanta, GA

Good and Greasy before a game

OK, so it’s not amazing food, but it is an Atlanta icon – anyone that visits has to go at least once.

Burger

good n grungy

October 15, 2012

One of the best restaurant

If you would ask me 1 word to describe "The Vasity", I would say "EXCELLENT". The food is tasty especially the Fried apple pie. Very cool place to visit. I would highly recommend this place to visit.

Diner

from Gayot
August 9, 2012

Since 1928, and through feeding presidents (and candidates for that and lesser offices) and the homeless, The Varsity has enticed visitors to abandon decorum and indulge themselves with toasted pimiento cheese sandwiches, hot dogs with…

American Parking Catering
Tips
  • For a true nostalgic experience give the curbside service a shot, one of the few places that still does it, American Graffiti-style.
  • Those wanting to dine inside can easily find a space in the V's massive parking deck.
  • Study the menu before getting in line--the Varsity has its own menu shorthand. A "naked dog" is a Varsity signature hot dog without chili; a "bag of rags" is a bag of potato chips and an "FO" is an orange-flavored, slushy milk shake.
Fri-Sat 10:00AM - 12:30AM
Sun-Thu 10:00AM - 11:30PM

The Varsity  Restaurant Reviews

The Varsity is located near the cities of Airport Mail Center, Atl, Bankhead, Midtown Atlanta, and Lastrup.
People found this by searching for: The Varsity Menu Atlanta, Detailed Menu For The Varsity In Atlanta, Menu For Varsity Restaurant In Downtown Atlanta, What Is The Most Popular Meal At The Varsity?, Varsity Restaurant Locations, Varsity Hamburgers, The Varsity Atlanta Vegan, Varsity Reviews Atlanta Crowds, and Victory Hot Dogs Atlanta.