36 E Holly St
Pasadena, CA 91103

Tibet Nepal House

Neighborhoods: Old Pasadena
Cuisine: Nepalese, Catering, Cafe

Tibet Nepal House is a Nepalese, Catering, and Cafe restaurant where most Menuism users came for fun with friends, paid less than $10, and tipped between 15% to 18%.

saikoxpooh photo

saikoxpooh

La Crescenta, CA

himalayan party in my mouth

I was the first to arrive from abby’s party. I guess I was eager.

The people there were nice. They offered me water and checked on me a bunch of times before anyone came. the decor was nice and I noticed paper drawings lining the ceiling.

First thing I ordered was a Himalayan beer called Himalayan Blue. It tasted very much like budweiser.

They have Indian beer, too, which tasted like chocolate. I’d get that one next time. Either way, these beers were HUGE and $6.50 only.

I was glad to pay.

On to the main show, in order of appearance (as much as I can. At one time, four dishes appeared magically and simultaneously so bear that in mind).

Bhatamaas Saadheko: Roasted Soya bean, ginger, green garlic, red onion, and green chili, marinated with Himalayan spices. These were really crunchy and awesome. I finally found a way to eat soy beans!

Tse Mo-Mo: Mixed Vegetable Dumpling. These were good but I wasn’t blown away. They tasted kind of like Korean veggie mandoo’s.

Cheese Pakora: Deep-Fried Cheese, Battered with Chickpeas Flour. I guess the point was to dip it into one of the two sauces that it came with because by itself it was a little bland and more bready and less cheesy than I had wanted it. Still, a solid dish.

Yak Mo-Mo: Ground yak meat seasoned and stuffed dumpling. That’s right, folks! I ate yak for the first time and it was here! The ground yak tasted like ground beef.

Sherpa Stew: Simmered chicken with rice, vegetables, and Himalayan spices. Sherpa Stew is often served on trekking routes. This was very comforting but it lacked a little acid. Very mountainous though. I could imagine my Bolivian mountain ppl eating this in the winter. It was hearty and filling so I only had a little. Didn’t want to fill up on it.

Kathmandu Sekuwa: Chicken breast marinated overnight with mint, cilantro and Himalayan spices. This was obviously my favorite dish. It was chicken breast balls simmering on a sizzling hot platter. omg the lemon gave it that extra kick.

Gaunle Khasi: Fresh goat meat cooked with onion, tomatoes, ginger, & Himalayan spices. looked slow-cooked but didn’t taste like it. It was a bit tougher but still delicious in taste.

Goondruk: A typical Nepali dish of preserved mustard green leaves and cabbage, and tomato, cooked with Nepali spices. This reminded me a little of Ethiopian food. I almost freaked myself out when I put this in their Tibetan Bread (reminiscent to eating with injera bread in Ethiopian restaurants).

Annapurnayak: Yak meat sautéed with green chili, Bell pepper, Onions, & Himalayan spices. This was pretty good. Looked like a beef fajita coming my way but I knew it would be better, and it was. Just a bit tough. I think yak in general is probably just more tough than beef. Not too gamey.

Tibetan Bread: Deep-fried whole-wheat flour bread. It was thick and not crispy but good. Reminded me a little of cheesy bread except without the cheese.

Chyamtange Dhopzi: Stone ground whole-wheat fine flour flat-leavened bread baked in clay oven. I forgot to try this.

Bhaat: Steamed Himalayan Basmati Rice. Really good with all the stewy dishes.

Kheer: House-made rice pudding topped with almonds, walnuts, and raisins. This was my second favorite dish of the night after the Sekuwa because it was like arroz con leche but not as sweet. Loved it. Could have eaten the whole thing but didn’t want to be a pig in public.

Mt. Everest in a Blanket: Ice cream rolled in crepes, topped with chocolate sauce. This was also pretty sinful but I didn’t want to hurt my teeth so I only had one bite. This reminded me of fried ice cream because of the cold vanilla ice cream inside of a hot buttery shell.

tea. absolutely delicious. it’s like a chai tea but without sugar. just cream. absolutely delicious!

WHEN I go back, I’m going to get the Sekuwa, the yak dumplings, the goondruk, the rice pudding, and the tea!

naia photo

naia

Try Tibet Nepal House-and say "hi" with a smile to the staff

I’ve been to this restaurant twice. Each time the staff seem sincerely concerned about the experience their customers are having. It’s nice, and they light up when you say “thank you”.

The food is good, and where else in LA area can you get Yak meat with veggies and Goat Curry?

If you haven’t had food from Nepal and Tibet, it’s reminiscent of Indian and Indonesian …although it has it’s own special flavors.

The soup was wonderful, the meat dishes are flavorful, the wines are okay, and they have these little yak-meat dumplings that are great. My favorite, though, is the goat curry. Save a little room to finish off the meal with a crepe filled with ice cream and/or wonderful cinnamon-spiced rice pudding and tea.

Parking is reasonably easy. Sometimes, you can find something right on the street. If not, then parking structures are within a block or so.

j44lee photo

j44lee

Cerritos, CA

Extraordinary Eats and Service at Tibet Nepal House

Talk about a hidden gem! Tibet Nepal House is truly one of a kind. Had it not been for Abby’s brilliantly organized event, I would never have been able to find or enjoy the fine cuisines we sampled at tonight’s decadent dinner.

First, some random comments:

PROS:
---———
- FANTASTIC FOOD. Please read the “what did you eat” section for a critique on each delectable dish!

- Superior service. The servers were very friendly and attentive. Our water glasses were always full and the staff was happy to explain what each unique dish was.

- Beautiful interior with lots of traditional ethnic statues, art pieces, and photos. Quite charming!

- Spacious – don’t judge the interior by the cozy store front. Once I stepped inside, I realized that the space could easily accommodate about 50 patrons. A nice smallish-medium sized venue.

SUGGESTIONS:
---————————
- I prefer that my hot foods are served hot. Some of the dishes were served either warm or at room temp. The freshness of each dish was undeniable, but I wished they were hotter – particularly the stew.

- The coffee was a bit on the weak side. A little less water and more beans will easily remedy this.

CON (NOT THE FAULT of the restaurant!!):
---—————————————————————————-
- Parking is somewhat difficult. I parked along the intersecting street (Raymond) and fed the meter, which was about $.25 for each 15 minutes. I understand there is also a free lot called “Parsons” nearby, though I was unable to dine this area. Park here free with restaurant validation.

WHAT DID YOU EAT?
=======
(1) Yak Mo-Mo: delicious yak dumplings – not gamey at all! Reminiscent of ground beef.

(2) Tse Mo-Mo: Mixed Vegetable Dumpling – you would never know this was vegetarian. The seasoning was subtle yet effective – one of my favorites of the dinner!

(3) Cheese Pakora: served a bit colder than room temp, otherwise, good flavor, but not particular memorable.

(4) Goondruk: Reminded me of a Korean banchan (side dish) due to the pickled nature of the assorted bitter veggies. Delicious!

(5) Kathmandu Sekuwa: This was absolutely my favorite tonight! Squeeze a bit of lemon for an extra kick!

(6) Gaunle Khasi: a bit gamey for my personal tastes, but this was definitely a hit with the rest of the group!

(7) Sherpa Stew: Absolutely wonderful and hearty without any heaviness. A nice peanut-y taste with soft rice and tender chicken.

(8) Annapurnayak: yummy – reminded me of steak fajitas!

(9) Tibetan Bread: Deep-fried whole-wheat flour bread…how can you go wrong with that?

(10) Chyamtange Dhopzi: delicious and light – tasted like a simple pita bread. A great accompaniment to the curry-like dishes.

(11) Bhaat: Steamed Himalayan Basmati Rice – light and fluffy.

(12) Bhatamaas Saadheko: a simple appetizer with a big garlic taste!

(13) Kheer: Oooh…I could eat this sweet and cinnamony treat all day.

(14) Mt. Everest in a Blanket: Even the greediest of crepe lovers will find it in their hearts to share this lovely dessert.

(15) Beverages. Try their imported beers! Quite tasty and exotic. Large beers are $6.50 and wines are $7.50 per glass.

irisblu1981 photo

irisblu1981

Covina, CA

went w/ abby & the pleasure palate meet-up...

went w/ abby & the pleasure palate meet-up group as part of a menuism-sponsored tasting. overall, food, ambiance, & service were all good (about 4 stars).

would recommend (in this order):
(1) Kathmandu Sekuwa: Chicken breast marinated overnight with mint, cilantro and Himalayan spices. very savory. tasted like skewered meat. even though it’s a giant chicken ball, the flavor is in every bite, not just on the surface. sprinkle of lemon enhances flavor.

(2) Gaunle Khasi: Fresh goat meat cooked with onion, tomatoes, ginger, & Himalayan spices. meat was tender. a mild dish but the flavor lingers even after the meal.

(3) Mt. Everest in a Blanket: Ice cream rolled in crepes, topped with chocolate sauce. not particularly ethnic, but very good.

(4) Kheer: House-made rice pudding topped with almonds, walnuts, and raisins.

(5) Yak Mo-Mo: Ground yak meat seasoned and stuffed dumpling. flavorful. i like yak meat prepared ground rather than as stir-fried cubes (the way it was prepared in our other dish, in which the yak meat was a little too tough & hard to chew).

(6) Cheese Pakora: Deep-Fried Cheese, Battered with Chickpeas Flour. the cheese was like paneer, a little tofu-like. actually not heavy, like i thought it would be. good w/ the mint chutney.

these dishes didn’t stand out for me because they were kinda bland:
(1) Tse Mo-Mo: Mixed Vegetable Dumpling.

(2) Goondruk: A typical Nepali dish of preserved mustard green leaves and cabbage, and tomato, cooked with Nepali spices

(3) Sherpa Stew: Simmered chicken with rice, vegetables, and Himalayan spices. Sherpa Stew is often served on trekking routes

(4) Tibetan Bread: Deep-fried whole-wheat flour bread

(5) Chyamtange Dhopzi: Stone ground whole-wheat fine flour flat-leavened bread baked in clay oven

this dish was flavorful but the yak meat was too tough:
(1) Annapurnayak: Yak meat sautéed with green chili, Bell pepper, Onions, & Himalayan spices

i would go back again, esp since i’ve heard they have good, cheap lunch buffets.

no idea about the price range of this place, coz our dinner was free. fyi park at parson’s off walnut – you get validated.

zoran photo

zoran

Friendly, attentive staff in Pasadena

Quiet Sunday Evening at dinner time. Wine and beer is available including Gewurtzraminer.

A variety of whole wheat breads and naan are available.

Yak meet section has 4 different selections. A little tough and not overly gamy.

Kheer, a rice pudding desert was good and not too sweet.

Himalayan Mashala tea (with milk) is a good end to the meal.

Tibetan Bread

Similar to indian poori, fried whole wheat bread.

BruinBelle photo

BruinBelle

Gastronomique Nepalese ethnic food

Simply put, Tibet Nepal House serves up gastronomique Nepalese ethnic food! We had a multi-course tasting menu sponsored by Pleasure Palate n Menuism. The breads were fantastic, the yak meat dumplings were yummy, the sheperd’s stew n goat meat dishes were fantastic, the desserts hit the spots as well as the Nepalese tea. All in all, every1 had a gastronomique time!

yak meat dumplings

goat meat

Nepalese Good for groups Catering

Tibet Nepal House  Restaurant Reviews

Tibet Nepal House is located near the cities of South Pasadena and San Marino.
People found this by searching for: Tibet Nepal House In Pasadena, نيبال منزل, Nepali House, Nepal House, Tibet Nepal House, Nepals House, House In Nepal, and Nepal House Pasadena.