579 G A R Hwy
Swansea, MA 02777-4587

UMI Japanese Steakhouse

Cuisine: Japanese, Cafe, Asian

UMI Japanese Steakhouse is a Japanese, Cafe, and Asian restaurant where most Menuism users came for fun with friends, paid between $10 and $25, and tipped less than 15%.

Overall
Pros
"Sushi & Sashimi are awesome! Staff has always been professional, owners are attentive & nice. Never had an issue at either location."
"Went here with 3 friends that have never been. I have been a customer for years. We were looking forward to a girls night out. It was my suggestion. We ordered 2 orders of Maki and a drink each. We were having a good time. The cook was very entertai"
Cons
"No cons"
"See a above review. New owners would be a great start"
Comments
"Sushi rolls take time to make, so have patience, you will be rewarded."
"Don't waste your time or money. You will be disappointed and you may be yelled at and threatens if you report hair in your food, or report any other dissatisfaction."
  • 6/08/2018

A Japanese chowhound from Fall River, MA tried it.

• 6/29/2016

A Japanese chowhound from Attleboro, MA tried it and liked it.

• 8/18/2015

A Japanese food lover from Taunton, MA tried it.

• 5/01/2015

Pros
    Cons
    No cons
    Comments
    Sushi rolls take time to make, so have patience, you will be rewarded.
  • 4/29/2015

A Japanese chowhound from Chicago, IL tried it.

• 1/17/2015

• 6/06/2014

A Japanese chowhound from Newark, NJ tried it.

• 1/27/2014

• 10/11/2013

A Japanese food lover from Springfield, NJ tried it, liked it, and rated it . They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.

• 7/21/2013

A dining patron from Springfield, NJ tried it.

Rude and Awful Service

Made a 7:30 reservation for 7 people, 2 of us arrived at 7:15, 2 more that 7:25, and the last 3 at 7:35. They gave our table away and refused to honor our reservation, saying we would have wait another hour. The manager said we could have free drinks and when a waitress was sent over to take our drink order, we were told that they would not be free. I will never go there again. As we were leaving the manger was yelling at us. The lady has no idea how to run a business and the concept of Customer Service. I strong recommend that you never go there.

Spaz6694 photo

Spaz6694

Swansea, MA

Hair in the food. Ewwww Owner flipped out....on us!

Went here with 3 friends that have never been before. I have been a customer for many years.   We ordered 2 orders of Maki and a drink each.  One friend found a hair WRAP AROUND a shrimp on her plate.  I immediately stood up, walked over and informed our server quietly.  She came over to tell us the “manager” would deduct one meal.  We had not eaten any of our dinners past one or two bites.  Once we saw our friend grossed out and pulling hair off  from around a shrimp we all lost out appetites.  I recognized the “manager” as the wife of the owner or owner team.
I explained I was a long standing customer which she acknowledged and agreed.  I explained my friend had found a hair wrapped around a shrimp served to her.  We had all ordered the same meal; chicken and shrimp and because we saw all of it was prepared together,  cooked and served together we did not eat any of the main meals given what we saw.  The female owner flipped out.  I explained that none of us ate our meals, past one or two bites.   She yelled, drew attention to us.   She  demanded to see the hair.  She threatened to call the police, which we invited her to do.  She accused us of " filling up" on the rice, maki and drinks.  I told her we had no problem paying for what we had already ate and drank.  But the fact is we barely touched our meals after a hair was found in one of our dinners.  She yelled “there’s a lot of money here”.   She carried on, yelling and flapping her arms .  She was out of control.   She even brought the cook out saying he had short hair.  My friends and I have all  worked in food service.  Errant hair can get in food, we don’t believe it was intentional.  We never said it was the cook’s it was likely whoever prepared the food.  It happens…..acknowledge it, apologize for it, correct it and move on.   Yelling at a long standing customer who always pays and tips well is inexcusable.  While acknowledging I was a long standing customer she ordered me “you never come back” she yelled at us and for a solid 5 minutes and kept coming back to the table to unleash more anger.  On the way out she yelled  we were “immoral”.  Really.  For reporting  a problem, with your food service?

I will not be back, rest assured.  We paid for the drinks and the maki orders and she even had the nerve to tell us to stop finishing our drinks.  I told her if we were paying for them we were finishing them.  Also for years their children have been running around that place like its their personal playground.  A restaurant is not a place for babies and toddlers to be raised.  The Swansea board of Health should take note .  Still in shock.  What an awful and embarrassing experience.   I’m so sorry I ever suggested it.  I will NEVER go back!!!!!
 Be prepared that if you go and have to complain about hair in the food, or likely anything else, you will be subjected to a tirade from the owner, threats that she’ll call the police on you and yelled at for a solid 5 minutes.  What a disgrace!

Chicken and shrimp

Found a hair wrapped AROUND a shrimp on my plate

Japanese Parking Cafe

UMI Japanese Steakhouse  Restaurant Reviews

People found this by searching for: Umi Swansea, Umi's Swansea Menu, Umi Steakhouse Swansea Ma, Umi Japanese Steakhouse, Japanese Steakhouse Swansea Ma, Umi Swansea Ma, Umi Swansea Menu, Umi Restaurant Swansea, and Hibachi Grill Near Fall River Ma.