209 10 St NW
Calgary, AB T2N

Vero Bistro Moderne

Neighborhoods: Sunnyside
Cuisine: Fusion, Italian, Chinese

Vero Bistro Moderne is a Fusion, Italian, and Chinese restaurant where most Menuism users came for fun with friends, paid between $25 and $50, and tipped more than 18%.

• 9/10/2013

A Fusion chowhound from Calgary, AB tried it, didn't like it, and rated it . They didn't like the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.

• 8/24/2013

A diner from Calgary, AB tried it, liked it, and rated it . They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.

lolacola photo

lolacola

Calgary, AB

Fantastic

I heard about Vero Bistro from a friend at work raving about the food. After listening to her describe some of the mouth watering treats and as soon as she said they served tapas Tuesday to Sunday nights after 9 p.m., I was sold.

Two girlfriends and I headed to Vero on a freezing cold Saturday night. As soon as we walked in I felt warmer. Vero is decorated in shades of bright red and black, with dark stone tables and leather chairs and walls. The table setting was beautiful with unique plates, bowls and placemats. I can’t remember the last time I noticed a table setting, but from head to toe this place was gorgeous. However, be forewarned, that it is on the small side so I would highly recommend reservations.

We had a knowledgeable and friendly waitress who even offered to ask the kitchen staff if they would make tapas for us early as our reservation was at 8:30. As one of my friends is always late, we declined, but it was a very nice gesture.

To start we shared a bottle of the Luigi Bosca Reserva Organic Sauvignon Blanc from Argentina ($43.00). The wine was absolutely fantastic, light and crisp. Our waitress told us it was a very popular wine and because it was organic it didn’t have any sulphites. So no headache!

As we began to read the Tapas menu, my eyes glazed over and I began to drool; everything looked so good! We ordered two of the items my friend had raved about to help us make a decision: the black truffle cheese with 10 year balsamic and filon croutons ($9.00) and the shrimp balls explosion stuffed with mango cheddar ($7.00). Wow the cheese was amazing, it was a whipped delight with a subtle and delicious sweet flavour. The filon croutons were like brown whole wheat crackers with bits of fruit in them; a perfect match for the cheese. Also on the plate was a miniature wonton style soup spoon filled with the balsamic for drizzling, and a mini mixed green salad. The light lemon-garlic dressing on the salad was the perfect touch. This treat is best shared between two people as it is a little small, but it is unbelievably good. No wonder my friend was raving! The shrimp balls were quite large and there were two of them. They were fantastic as well, crispy on the outside and moist and flavourfully on the inside. As my friend put it they tasted like “dim sum only way better”.

We then chose some items that my friend had not tried: the smoked salmon flat bread ($12.00), panko breaded wild prawns with a spicy crab and caviar dipping sauce ($9.00) and the tempura vegetables with green tea sea salt and lemon soy sauce ($9.00).

The smoked salmon flatbread was beautifully plated, the salmon was folded into the shape of a rose, and tasted just as good as it looked. There were six of the panko breaded prawns so they were perfect for sharing and the dipping sauce was unreal, I just wish there was had been more of it. The vegetable tempura had a very nice variety of vegetables: avocado, eggplant, potatoes, asparagus, red peppers and broccoli. You get a huge plate of them and the lemon soy sauce and green tea sea salt were very innovative and tasty additions. Another thing we had worth mentioning was an “urban drink for sharing” which was served in a pitcher. We chose the green tea and whisky pitcher. Even though none of us are huge fans of whiskey we though it sounded interesting and after how amazing the food was we had full confidence in the menu. Not surprisingly, the drinks were delicious!

I highly recommend this place if you want an innovative and delicious menu and great service. I am absolutely coming back here to try their lunch and dinner menus. Wow.

Black Truffle Cheese Tapas

An absolute must if you are having tapas at this restaurant.

Fusion Italian Chinese

Vero Bistro Moderne  Restaurant Reviews

People found this by searching for: Vero Bistro Moderne No Menu Tuesday Selections, Vero Restaurant Calgary, Vero Bistro Calgary Menu, Vero Italian Bistro Calgary, Vero Calgary Menu, Vero Calgary, and Vero Bistro Moderne Menu.