10319 Venice Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90034-6409

Versailles Cuban Food

Neighborhoods: Palms
Cuisine: Cuban, Sandwiches, Seafood

Versailles Cuban Food is a Cuban, Sandwiches, and Seafood restaurant where most Menuism users came for fun with friends, paid between $10 and $25, and tipped between 15% to 18%.

• 11/27/2018

A diner from Los Angeles, CA tried it.

• 11/27/2017

A diner from US tried it.

• 3/20/2015

A Cuban chowhound from Los Angeles, CA tried it.

• 3/13/2014

A Cuban chowhound from San Jose, CA tried it, liked it, and rated it . They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.

• 9/29/2013

A dining patron from Montebello, CA tried it and liked it. They liked the food.

• 5/09/2013

A dining patron from Phoenix, AZ tried it.

Sandwich-300x200

flavortrail photo

flavortrail

Tasting the Cuban Menu at Versailles Culver City

It seems like a lot of folks take Versailles for granted. It’s the reliable neighborhood place for Cuban-style garlic chicken. I like the homey-style of this restaurant, where the walls are lined with photo art from Habana. The pictures were lovingly taken by Raymond, one of the family offspring, who was there graciously explaining each item that we tasted. I had the good fortune to dine there twice in the last couple of months for tastings of many of the dishes I have neglected in favor of my usual order of garlic roast chicken. There is much more to Versailles’ menu than I knew about. Number one is: Cubans have their way with pork. Take, for example, their pork tamale. It looks rather ordinary until you notice it‘s served with their house citrus (mojo) sauce. It brings out the flavors in the masa. I loved it! I’ve returned after my first visit and purchased a bottle of the sauce to serve on roast pork at home. Delicious! I also favor the masitas de Puerco, a crisp chunk of marinated pork, flash fried. This reminds me of Filipino crispy pata or Mexican carnitas. You have to be a pork fan to love this stuff – and I am. Lechado Asada is a roasted shredded pork dish topped with thinly sliced onion and, yeah, mojo sauce.
I also learned that Cubanos hanker for vivid flavors over hot and spicy ones. Case in point is the Rabo Encendido which was a particular favorite of almost all the folks at our table. This is worthy of going back for. It’s oxtail, simmered for hours in Cuban spices, bell peppers and a hint of tomato. It’s featured on the plate with just a little sauce and the customary rice and black beans. It is so tangy and tender that you want to pick it up with your fingers and slurp up all that meaty goodness from the juicy nooks and crannies. Okay so, – me and my uncouth friends did just that! When I go back I will order it up with plantains on the side along with white rice and black beans. They also offer moro on the side which is a mixture of those two dishes. I love their thick, but soupy, black beans too much to mix them up with anything else. Next time I go back I will also probably share the fried red snapper. At first glance this dish appeared too crispy. It looked dry, but when I bit into it there was a definite succulence that gave a good texture to what would otherwise be a boring dish. Did I say it’s so good with the house sauce? Their paella is a little different from the one I’ve enjoyed in Spain and Portugal. Cubans serve a saucier version with hints of bell pepper, tomato, shrimp, chicken and chorizo. I like their version, it’s zesty and not dry. My favorite dessert is the guayaba with cream cheese, but most folks love the flan.
So I am definitely planning on going back. The prices are good. Garlic chicken is only 10.95 for ½ a bird. Rabo is $14.95 Most dishes are between $10 and $15 and Paella is $22. I notice a brisk take-out business going on. Considering the ample portion sizes, I can see a family sharing a good meal for not too much $$. On my driving scale of 1 – 10, I would drive 10 miles for some tasty comiday Cubana.

ThaiBruin photo

ThaiBruin

Yummy Cuban Garlic Chicken

This restaurant is just a few blocks from where I live, so I’ve been there several times. Whenever I have friends visiting from out of town, I would take them there to try the famous Versailles Garlic Chicken. Its unique garlic and citrus taste is addicting. Don’t like the overabundant of onions, though. Make sure you get the complimentary butter toasts.

This place is very casual and can get noisy and crowded over the weekends. It’s a fun place to celebrate group birthdays. The service is fast and friendly. Free parking is available out front.

Famoso Pollo Versailles

This roasted half chicken is swimming in garlic and lemon juice that is just divine! The meat is tender and plenty of it. It is served with Cuban rice and beans and fried sweet plantains. This ends up being two meals for me.

Cuban Style Roast Pork

This is the pork version with the same garlic sauce, but it doesn’t taste as good as the chicken. The pork I had was also a little dried and bland. Stick with the chicken!

Rabo Encendido Oxtail Stew

“a creole based stew with a sharp peppery taste, cooked with traditional cuban herbs and spices, olive oil, and bell peppers”. Besides their garlic chicken, you must try their awesome oxtail stew. The meat just falls right off the bone and melts in your mouth! Very, very tasty. This also comes with rice and beans and plantains.

justin photo

justin

Homey cuban

The food is good, but I’m not sure how out of the way I would go to get it as it sounds like some people would. In fact, I recommend getting it as takeout to avoid any possibility of a line. I’d definitely come back for the pork, empanadas and tasty plantains though.

Cuban Style Roast Pork

The best dish in my opinion. The pork is soft, juicy and flavorful.

Garlic chicken (1/2 of a chicken)

The flavor is good, but most of the white meat is very dry. I just can’t get over that issue.

Chicken Empanadas

Great tasting filling and nicely crispy outside.

Pierna de Puerco Asada Roasted Leg Of Pork

It’s ok, but a bit tough and dry.

Chilindron de Cordero Sauteed Lamb

The flavor is good, but it surprisingly didn’t come with as much sauce as I thought it would. If it was drenched in sauce I would like it more. Maybe it’s because we got takeout?

ca_ccarr photo

ca_ccarr

Northridge, CA

Great food at great prices

Went there with a large group and we were treated like royalty! I couldn’t tell you the last time I ate that much food. The owner Raymond explained every dish to us and I really felt the Cuban vibe coming through as he spoke. He told us history and went into great detail about the dishes. They are best known for their garlic 1/2 chicken and it would be easy to get addicted to this but they have much more.

Let’s talk pork—they have it roasted, pan fried, breaded and all of it was wonderful. Then again, maybe I’ve never met a piece of pork I didn’t like.

I grew up on authentic black beans (long story how a white girl from Chicago does that but….it’s true) and these were some of the best I’ve tasted in a while. Actually, I could just eat these. Great comfort food.

They have an oxtail stew that I think we were actually fighting over, covered in bell peppers. Very tender. There is a seafood paella but it wasn’t my favorite thing. Huge portions though!

Appetizers included a nice avocado salad, fried yucca and ham croquettes that I could have taken home. For desserts, no good Cuban restaurant can go without plaintains and these were very respectable. Overall a wonderful evening and a great meal!

undeniably good

undeniably good

jolg92 photo

jolg92

flavorful and filling cuban food. great service, great food.

flavorful and filling cuban food. great service, great food.

Cuban Good for groups Online Ordering
Tips
  • Come early if you want the paella because it's often gone by 9pm and can take up to 45 minutes to prepare.
  • Don't let those long lines deter you--food is whisked out rapidly, so diners get in and out rapidly, too.

Versailles Cuban Food  Restaurant Reviews

Versailles Cuban Food is located near the cities of Civic Center Little Tokyo, Sanford, Dockweiler, Windsor Hills, and August F Haw.
People found this by searching for: Versailles Restaurant, Los Angeles, Menu Prices, Versailles Venice Blvd, Versailles Restaurant Calories, Versailles Venice Menu, Versailles On Venice, Versailles Cuban Restaurant Calories, and Versailles Garlic Chicken Recipe.