2520 W Devon Ave
Chicago, IL 60659

Viceroy of India

Neighborhoods: West Rogers Park
Cuisine: Indian, Cafe, Lunch

Viceroy of India is a Indian, Cafe, and Lunch restaurant where most Menuism users came for fun with friends, paid between $10 and $25, and tipped between 15% to 18%.

witns photo

witns

Tasty Indian experience

My friends and I went to the restaurant for dinner. It looks like that they provide lunch buffet, but I can’t be 100% sure. The place is well located in the midst of “Indian town” with many small Indian grocery/clothing shops around. The decor of the restaurant is nice w/ its cyrstal lights above and dim lighting. Although my friends and I haven’t tried many Indian restaurants before, we did enjoy our meal. The service was good and the dishes were colorful and tasty. They weren’t too exotic/spicy overall. We have only finish ~50% of our meal (we did have appetizer however). The entrees (w meats) range btw $12-18.

Vegetable Samosa

It was crispy and hot when it came. It was salty and not the spicy or sweet kind. Somehow, its taste was just right for me. Will definitely get it again.

Palak Paneer

It is a vegetarian dish w/ spinach, Indian cheese cubes, tomato and many other unfamiliar items smooshed together. The Indian cheese cube was surprisingly mild. The dish is thick in consistence but not strong in taste or hard to swallow. I enjoyed the dish esp w/ the pita bread.

Fish Curry

The curry has a slight hint of sweet and not spicy. A good consoling dish after eating Chicken Tikka.

Chicken Tikka

Overly spicy for my taste. Had some trouble appreciating other dishes right after eating the chicken. I guess my tongue was not made for real spicy Indian dishes.

woorangutan photo

woorangutan

A Taste of India

I’m reviewing Viceroy of India on Devon for the first time, but it’s actually my second time here, and I have to say, Devon street is quite a novelty for those who have never been before—the streets are jam-packed with Indian stores and restaurants, and the environment makes you feel as if you’ve been transported to a different land altogether.

Being located right in the midst of this bustling Chicago neighborhood, Viceroy of India is actually quite accessible from the nearby street parking. The interior of the restaurant is tastefully decorated, and the service is top-notch, combining for a stately experience.

Being a newbie at Indian cuisine, I was pleasantly surprised at the wide choice of dishes that were available. We were introduced to a platter of flat bread—actually more “chip”-like in texture than bread, and four flavorful dipping sauces that accompanied it. This was followed up by vegetable samosas, which was a pleasantly light and fluffy appetizer, and mango lassi’s—rich and creamy beverages that were fantastic. When the entrees arrived, we were definitely ready to dig in. From the savory butter chicken and goan fish curry to the unique spinach & cheese cubes and tandoori chicken skewers, we were overwhelmed with flavor and definitely stuffed by the end of the meal.

Although served in deceivingly small dishes, the food was surprisingly plentiful, especially shared family-style with rice and naan bread. Overall, if you want a classy dining experience in an exotic location close to home, Viceroy of India will not disappoint. Your stomach will be thanking you and so will your wallet!

Goan Fish Curry

A rich blend of flavors, not too strong as curry can sometimes be, simmered with moist pieces of fish, creating a savory yet subtly sweet dish that’s perfect with rice or bread.

Vegetable Samosas

A wonderfully light and flaky baked appetizer with potato and vegetables inside.

Mango Lassi

A rich, creamy and delicious beverage that’s chilled and perfect for a spicy meal.

smallfry photo

smallfry

Fine Indian Dining

My second time at Viceroy’s, I came to see what the lunch buffet was all about. Although there seemed to be a wide range of dishes to choose from, none of them were exactly what we had wanted. So we asked for a menu instead, and they happily accepted our request!

I am definitely a fan of the interior itself, but I think the lighting becomes even more romantic with lit candles at night, from what I remember last. I am also a fan of the host – he has a quiet, gentlemanly air about him that makes you feel like you are enjoying fine dining.

Tandoori Shrimp

I love tandoori anything because at Viceroy’s, it literally comes out SIZZLING HOT! I remember getting a whole tandoori chicken during the last visit and even though there is no sauce, the smoky and spiced flavor of the meats after being in that hot oven combined with the flavorful onions is fantastic! I liked the shrimp, but I prefer the chicken. There was a bit more flavor in the chicken.

Chicken Curry

The chicken is awesomely tender and breaks apart easily with a fork (even though you’re not supposed to cut up food with a fork). I love that it isn’t numbingly spicy because you can really appreciate the flavors without worrying about your stomach turning into a volatile volcano later.

Vegetable Samosas

First, I love that these samosas are LARGE. That’s the way samosas should be! Their pastry-like shell and hearty, well-cooked potato interior makes for a very satisfying start to your meal. A tad spicier than expected, so watch out.

Chicago Curry House

Viceroy of India

Sagar

Vegetarian in West Ridge

1/28/2020

An American chowhound from Riverdale, GA tried Queen of the Sea in Bronzeville.

1/28/2020

A Pizza food lover from Roscoe, IL tried Chesdan's Pizzeria & Restaurant in Brighton Park.

1/28/2020

A Chinese chowhound from US tried Ho Ho Chop Suey in Auburn Gresham.

1/27/2020

A Chinese chowhound from US tried Kiki's Chop Suey in Washington Heights / Brainerd.

1/26/2020

A dining patron from US tried Long Tung Chinese Food in Englewood and liked it.

1/25/2020

A diner from Lisle, IL tried Ambria in Lincoln Park, liked it, and rated it . They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.

DIRECT ADS (not accurate sizing)
1/25/2020

A Barbecue chowhound from US tried Lem's Bar-B-Q House in Greater Grand Crossing.

1/25/2020

A diner from Chicago, IL tried Dock's in Chatham.

1/24/2020

A BBQ food lover from US tried I 57 Rib House, liked it, and rated it . They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.

1/24/2020

A diner from US tried Food Xpress in Bronzeville, liked it, and rated it . They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.

Indian Cafe Lunch
Sun-Sat 05:00PM - 10:00PM (Dinner)
Fri-Sat 07:00PM - 09:00PM (Live Music)
Sun-Sat 11:30AM - 03:30PM (Lunch Buffet)
Atinos Pizza

Eclectic in Irving Park

Susupuato Restaurant & Taqueria

Mexican in Edgewater

Viceroy  of India  Restaurant Reviews

Viceroy of India is located near the cities of Pilsen, Armour Square, Near South Side, Mc Kinley Park, and Near West Side.
People found this by searching for: Viceroy Devon, Is Viceroy Of India Gluten Free, Viceroy Restaurant Review Chicago, Viceroy Of India Gluten Free Menu, Viceroy Of India Gluten Free, Best Indian Fine Dining India, Viceroy Of India Devon, Viceroy Of India Pic, and Viceroy Of India Chicago.