1028 Huntington Dr
Duarte, CA 91010-2449

Villa Italia Ristorante

Neighborhoods: Monrovia
Cuisine: Italian, Catering, Lunch

Villa Italia Ristorante is a Italian, Catering, and Lunch restaurant where most Menuism users came for a family meal, paid between $10 and $25, and tipped more than 18%.

Overall
  • 2/07/2020

A diner from US tried it and liked it. They liked the food.

• 4/06/2019

A diner from El Monte, CA tried it.

• 8/02/2018

A dining patron from Pomona, CA tried it, liked it, and rated it . They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.

• 2/16/2017

An Italian chowhound from Monrovia, CA tried it.

• 7/09/2016

An Italian food lover from Duarte, CA tried it.

• 6/20/2016

A dining patron from Monrovia, CA tried it, liked it, and rated it . They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.

• 7/15/2015

An Italian food lover from Duarte, CA tried it.

• 1/02/2015

An Italian food lover from San Jose, CA tried it.

• 9/13/2013

An Italian food lover from El Monte, CA tried it and liked it. They liked the food.

pleasurepalate photo

pleasurepalate

My favorite "Filipino" food that is actually "Sicilian!"

So I bet the title of this particular posting has you wondering what the heck I’m talking about, huh? Well, simply, when I first came to Los Angeles from the Philippines, we lived in this small apartment complex on a street off of Melrose. One of our neighbors that my Mom got friendly with was a Sicilian woman and unfortunately, I can’t remember her name. However, it’s because of her teaching my Mom to cook one of my favorite dishes, that I will always remember her with fondness.

As a young child, I considered anything my Mom cooked as a part of Filipino cuisine. The fact that Philippines adopted spaghetti and made it their own made it even more fitting that I would think that a dish that actually has Sicilian roots would be part of my home food. By the way, just a brief note about Filipino spaghetti. It’s definitely different from what you’d get from Italy. Our spaghetti sauce tends to be sweeter. Some recipes call for the addition of the Filipino banana ketchup and I’ve even seen one or two recipes where sugar is added. Apparently, in the Philippines, you can even purchase a sweet-style spaghetti sauce. Also, don’t be surprised if you see hot dogs. Yes, chopped hot dogs are always part of the recipe. Ok, enough about Filipino spaghetti.

With my love for full-bodied flavors, you might be surprised that one of my favorite eats is Pasta Con Broccoli. It’s a very simple dish, containing only 3-5 ingredients, two of which are optional. Basically, it’s a dish made up of the pasta of your choice, fresh broccoli, extra virgin oil with the option of adding lemon and grated cheese. There was just something about the simplicity of the ingredients that was so appealing to my palate. Of course, now I know that there’s definitely nothing Filipino about this dish, but it doesn’t make me love it any less.

As an adult, I’ve done my share of dining at Italian restaurants, but never in my culinary travels, did I ever see Pasta Con Broccoli on the menu. Of course, that meant, I’d have to make occasional puppy dog eyes at my Mom so that she’d have enough sympathy to cook it for me. One day, I walked into Villa Italia in my hometown of Duarte, opened up the menu and almost fell out of my chair. Oh my goodness! I saw Pasta Con Broccoli on the menu or actually, it was referred to as Casareccia. So of course, I had to order it.

As I was sitting there, I asked the owner why I’ve never seen this dish on any Italian restaurant menu. Her response wasn’t too surprising. Apparently, Pasta Con Broccoli is one of those dishes that are just simply cooked at home by Sicilian Mamas for their family. Upon reflection, I remembered my Sicilian neighbor having a family with young children. By teaching my Mom this dish, I think she was just sharing a little part of her culture.

When my order arrived, I savored my first bite and every bite after that. Yes, it tasted exactly like the way my Mom makes. Fresh crunchy broccoli. Pasta that’s al dente cooked with olive oil. The slight saltiness of the grated cheese that I topped my pasta with. Delicious! Too bad that the other parts of my meal were just okay. The salad that came with the meal was quite overdressed and the lemon gelato I ordered was refreshing, but was probably more of a sorbet since it was quite icy.

At some of my other meals, I tried their Insalata Mista, a salad made up of olives, marinated mushrooms, tomatoes, onions and romaine, but like the lunch salad was just way too overdressed. Their baked gnocchi wasn’t too bad. It could have been lighter and fluffier, but all in all, it was satisfying. Unfortunately, I didn’t care much for their Siciliana Pasta, which is a pasta of your choice cooked with fresh mozzarella, basil, onions, eggplant and fresh tomato. It tasted a little bland.

Suffice to say, only the Pasta con Broccoli was the real hit in my book, but that’s totally okay with me. I can probably better renditions of those less successful dishes elsewhere, but so far, only Villa Italia can take care of my craving for this childhood dish I grew up. By the way, I actually took my Mom there to check out “her competition” and after one bite, she pronounced it as good as her own recipe. Strong words from a non-Sicilian Mama! :)

To see more pics, go to:

Casareccia at Villa Italia Ristorante

Casareccia

Insalata Mista at Villa Italia Ristorante

Insalata Mista

A salad made up of olives, marinated mushrooms, tomatoes, onions and romaine was just way too overdressed.

Baked gnocchi at Villa Italia Ristorante

Baked gnocchi

It could have been lighter and fluffier, but all in all, it was satisfying.

Lemon Gelato at Villa Italia Ristorante

Lemon Gelato

The lemon gelato I ordered was refreshing, but was probably more of a sorbet since it was quite icy.

eldredjames photo

eldredjames

Duarte, CA

Ahhh, Wonderful!!

Who would have thought to find a little bit of Italy in a corner of Duarte?

We were here when they opened at 5PM. We let them get settled and walked in. Two nice ladies seated us and soon brought us some very good bread.

My wife and I ordered Lasange and Pizza with pepperoni and sausage. We happened to mention that we would split the lasange. I had diet soda and my wife the house Burgundy.

A little while later the feast began. They had split the lasange for us and the pizza was sizzling hot, just how I like it.

Everything was very flavorful. A treat for us, and we go out to dinner every Friday on our date night!

Villa Italia is now our favorite Italian place.

My daughter is coming today from Las Vegas before she and her husband move to South Korea. We’re taking her and my sister’s family here for dinner tonight!

Lasange

Never loved Lasange more!

Pizza

Hot, sizzling. The sauce was perfect!

Italian Catering Dinner

Villa Italia Ristorante  Restaurant Reviews

Villa Italia Ristorante is located near the cities of Bradbury, Monrovia, Irwindale, and North El Monte.
People found this by searching for: Villa Italia Ristorante Duarte, Ca, Villa Atalia Duarte, Villa Italia Duarte, Villa Italia In Duarte, Insalata Mista, Villa Italia Ristorante Duarte Ca, Villa Italia Monrovia, and Villa Italia Duarte Ca.