4936 Thoroughbred Ln
Brentwood, TN 37027-4226

Vittles

Cuisine: American, Soul Food, Lunch

• 3/08/2018

A diner from Nashville, TN tried it and liked it.

• 5/17/2015

An American chowhound from Atlanta, GA tried it.

ninjakitty photo

ninjakitty

Temecula, CA

Takes me back to chidhood

I really like this restaurant. It is unassuming, peaceful, and family-oriented. The food is good home-cooked meals. Yes, no fancy flair, but that’s just fine. If you want to pay for fancy, go somewhere else. The prices are excellent and the food is plentiful. I haven’t had a bad meal … nothing greasy … nothing a disappointment. This restaurant’s name itself should tell you that it’s basic, home-cooked meals without charging for the frills. The food is very similar to what my grandmother served and eating at Vittles takes me back to my childhood. Worth the visit.

various

SouthernCritic photo

SouthernCritic

Nashville, TN

Absolutely Horrible

I will say, on all my tours as a connoisseur of fine southern food, this was the most unpleasant experience I’ve encountered. Melting oil based cheese product over undercooked macaroni, stuffing a piece of chopped “steak” thinner than a Krystal patty between an inch of low-grade breading, deep frying it and calling it country fried steak, and the ever glorious ice cream ball of mashed potatoes covered in watery gravy shows an unseen level of ignorance to what southern food is about.

The only thing that was worse than the food was the service. After sitting at the table for at least ten minutes our order was haphazardly taken. By this time my dining companion had finished her tea but our waitress was not to be seen for the next 20 minutes.

Once our food arrived we noticed that one of the orders had been butchered. Aside from the main course of frozen grilled chicken tenders dryer than the rice they were atop of, all three of the sides were incorrect. Rather than even attempting to get the orders corrected we choked down as much as we could and took the rest home for the dog.

Arriving at the register, we waited another eight to ten minutes for the cashier to finish taking a phone order before cashing us out. Ninety minutes and $25.00 poorer we made our peace with our dining experience and left.

Once I arrived home I decided to see if anyone else had had such a deplorable meal, because this establishment came highly recommended by some friends (granted that they are from Boston). I was blown away when I came across the restaurants webpage and clicked on their story.

My philosphy was simple —
“serve down-home cookin’ … fast and friendly”
I was raised on "good ol’ country-cookin’ " that my mom would prepare for our family every day. We always had plenty to eat and we knew how to clean our plates. Mom provided a choice of main courses and more vegetables and side items than we could possibly eat. Everything she prepared was seasoned just right, delivering that down-home taste. This style of cooking has become a lost art in today’s fast-paced world, but at Vittles we have recaptured many of those great dishes and desserts of yesteryear.
My hope is that you will enjoy the food and your dining experience here at Vittles and you will share your experience with friends and family.
- John Craighead

All I can say is that if you are looking for some classic down home cooking you would be better off to brave the corporate machine of Cracker Barrel than to step anywhere near Vittles. Better yet, try a real southern cuisine master in Nashville such as, Wendell Smiths Restaurant, located on Charlotte Pike in West Nashville or Elliston Place Soda Shop, located across from Exit/In on Elliston place. Never in my life have I left my table with excess Mac-n-cheese and cornbread, and hopefully I never will again.

American Delivery Soul Food
Mon-Sat 11:00AM - 08:00PM
Sun 08:00AM - 10:30AM
Sun 11:00AM - 08:00PM
Mon-Sat 07:00AM - 10:00AM

Vittles  Restaurant Reviews

Vittles is located near the cities of Converse.
People found this by searching for: Vitiles Restaurant, Vitiles, Vittles, Vittles Restaurant Brentwood Tn, Vittles Brentwood, Vittles Menu, Vittles Brentwood Tn, Vittles Menu\, and Vittles Brentwood Tn Menu.