733 Washington St

j44lee photo

j44lee

Cerritos, CA

Best Chinese Bakery in SF

My BFF (we’re from LA) always brings large, empty tupperware containers inside her suitcases whenever she goes on SF business trips. Why? To fill up on a smorgasbord of pastries and breads from the Washington Bakery & Restaurant.

It must be good, I think, since this is her family’s favorite spot. BTW, her grandmother is from the old skool and kicks it with her fellow grammy homegirls at the Mah Jong club in LA’s Chinatown on Saturday afternoons. My friend ends up buying an extra 2 dozen breads to feed grandma’s masses!

Anyway, I tried a few things from this place and was pretty impressed. See list below.

The service is good, but, as with most place in C-Town, no one speaks much English. Put your pointing skills to the test and try it out!

Assorted Chinese Breads

Sponge cake: I was suspicious because it was shaped like an ice cream cone. The cake looked fluffy and yummy – like a “cloud fart,” I affectionately dubbed. When I took my first bite, I could immediately taste the fresh eggs whipped up to make this cake. It’s like eating a big fluffy egg cleverly disguised as a cake.

Pineapple topping pasty: I don’t know why it’s called “pineapple” because that’s not what it tastes like. Maybe it’s the criss cross formation of the sugary topping that warrants its moniker? In any case, OMG – this bun is the best when it’s served fresh out of the oven. You just want to swallow this yummy treat in one gulp!

Cocktail bun: Again, I’m still not understanding the Chinese’s naming convention, but who cares when the bread is good? Don’t expect a bread and a shot of Patron. This is just another goody that is glossy on top with a syrupy topping and stuffed with a meaty mixture on the inside. A nice combination of slightly salty against tasty breading.

Bakeries Catering Dinner
Sun-Sat 07:30AM - 07:30PM

Washington Bakery & Restaurant  Restaurant Reviews

Washington Bakery & Restaurant is located near the cities of Hayes Valley, Mission District, , Chinatown, and Haight Ashbury.
People found this by searching for: Washington Bakery San Francisco, Washington Bakery San Francisco Menu, Best Chinese Bakery In San Francisco, Bread Bakery In Chinatown San Francisco, Pineapple Cake Filling, Bakery, Daly City, Ca, Washington Cafe San Francisco, and Washington Bakery & Restaurant San Francisco.