3663 Bee Caves Rd
Austin, TX 78746

Wild Wood Art Cafe

Cuisine: Vegan, Vegetarian, Gluten Free

Wild Wood Art Cafe is a Vegan, Vegetarian, and Gluten Free restaurant where most Menuism users came for fun with friends, paid less than $10, and tipped less than 15%.

Nick photo

Nick

Austin, TX

Excellent food in a cheerful atmosphere

Wild Wood is tucked away behind Breed and Co hardware store on Bee Cave which made it a little difficult to find. But once I did – halleluia ! It was a great spot to eat – a small or medium sized cafe / restaurant / art gallery. I get the impression that not many people know about it yet.
the variety of foods is very impressive. I got there after 1 so I could not get breakfast anymore, but the lunches looked terrific. I had a sandwich , an iced tea and a dessert, and all were great. For the dessert I had one of their cream filled cupcakes, and it was delicious. I took away an eclaire, which was probably even better than the cream filled cup cake.
There are hot dishes there as well – lasagna, tamales all made in house, and hot sandwiches (I saw a pastrami and kraut) as well as cold.

Meredith Club

I had the Meredith Club on foccaccia bread. The bread was very fresh and tender, the meats were very generous in portion size, the bacon was crisp, and the salsa on the side was nice and tangy. Really great !

Eclaire

This was perfect. It must have just been out of the oven this morning or something (well, they are a bakery after all…). The pâte à chou was perfect and light, and the filling was creamy and rich. They say this is a gluten free place but I’m not sure how they do this.

Maitri photo

Maitri

Austin, TX

If it's this good, well OK then I will eat Gluten Free

I have just eaten at Wild Wood Art Cafe, and it was great. I thought I would try out this gluten-free thing everyone is talking about. If this is what it’s like all the time, I may well switch, as are several of my friends.

I had a vegetarian lasagna, which was very fresh and good. They used a lot of veggies and a tofu spread, as well as being topped by tofu cheese. It was excellent, and that is saying something because I have tasted some lasagna before. Since I am off today, I also decided to try the Gluten free beer they offer, called Greens (this bottle has “Endeavor” written on it). I am more of a wine person so this brand is new to me. It is brewed in Belgium, and so a bit expensive ($5.50 a bottle – 20 0z., not so bad after all). I like it.
I also had the soup, today it is a beef minestrone, with beef and some bacon, and lots of fresh, crisp vegetables; it has beans instead of pasta (maybe that’s how they get around the gluten issue). Very flavorful – not too much salt, which I appreciate.

My friend asked what the biggest seller was, and the friendly barista said the Meredith Club, so he got that on gluten free whole grain bread. I wanted to try the gluten free bread, so he gave me a chunk. It was was very good, obviously freshly baked. It is amazing what truly fresh bread does for a sandwich – it gives a sandwich a reason to be. My buddy is on the wagon right now – wife’s orders – so he had a Mexican coke, which he says is excellent. Somehow cleaner and crisper, as well as slightly sweeter – like the ones when he was a kid growing up in Tennessee, he says.

Lastly we each had a dessert. I went for the Key Lime pie, served not as a slice but as a whole in a small tin pie container – definitely a large serving for 1 person. I loved the crust, and the filling was good, perhaps not quite as tart as I like them but very creamy and pleasant. It was a great conlusion to the meal. My friend had an eclair, which he says is excellent: very tasty, having a soft pastry with a sweet and light filling. He definitely recommends it.

My doctor says I am allergic to gluten, but I don’t really believe him. My only real health problem is irregularity, which we all suffer from sometimes, right? and also a touch of arthritis that makes my knuckles swell up on some days. I don’t really want to give up on the things I enjoy, but after eating at Wild Wood, it seems there may be a reasonable alternative.

Another thing I really enjoyed about this place is the ambiance. It is very playful and friendly. There are lots of carved wooden animals from Mexico all around (I guess they are for sale too), and it adds a lot of good cheer. There is lots of light in here, as well as free wireless for the computer, so it is a good place to hang out, I think.

I have hesitated between 4 and 5 stars, and finally decided on 5. The reason is I like the genuine individuality of this place – a spot that is very fresh and unique in a city which seems to be full of regular unique stuff. The food was good, the service was pretty quick for lunch (not many people here today, hmmm), and the store is clean, pleasant and quiet.

Vegetarian Lasagna

see comments in main body of the review

soup

Today’s soup is a beef and vegetable minestrone. See comments above. A very good and fresh soup, a pretty rich broth. Definitely chuck full of stuff – a bowl would make a good meal, i’m sure.

Key Lime Pie

Very light and refreshing, with just the right amount of fresh lime. The crust is a kind of graham cracker, and I am not sure how they do that gluten free. But it is very good, just as good as the filling really.

Vegan Vegetarian Gluten Free
Mon-Fri 10:00AM - 06:00PM
Sat 09:00AM - 05:00PM

Wild Wood Art Cafe  Restaurant Reviews

Wild Wood Art Cafe is located near the cities of Rollingwood.
People found this by searching for: Wildwood Art Cafe, Wildwood Cafe Austin, Gluten Free Eclairs Austin, 5123279660, Wild Wood Art Cafe, Gluten Free Lasagna Austin Texas, and Vegan Eclair Brands Austin.