770-719-2720

715 Glynn St S ( )

Fayetteville, GA 30214-2049

View Hours
Description: Speedi-Pig Barbecue is a Barbecue and Wings restaurant where most Menuism users paid between $10 and $25 and tipped more than 18%.
Tags: Barbecue, South Atlanta, Wings, Brunswick Stew, Good For Kids, Takeout, and Good for groups
  • 1 dish entered by diners at Speedi-Pig Barbecue
Tips:
  • Private room is available for parties.

Reviews for Speedi-Pig Barbecue

Speedi-Pig Barbecue

Best barbecue joint you've never been to.

I suppose it’s because this place is a bit off the beaten path, but the quality of the food is unrivaled.
Once upon a time there were 2 locations, but the Jonesboro location closed down, that one was small and the dining area was not air conditioned.
Let’s get to the food—
They serve pulled pork and most definitely eye round beef or maybe gooseneck, which is slowly cooked in a hickory wood smoker in the back of the place in what resembles a locomotive, served on fresh buns. The pork is probably fresh ham, or maybe shoulder. I am thinking ham, since there is very little fat, which is usually associated with the shoulder. The smoke is moistened and the resulting meat is exquisite. The sandwiches are large and the sauce is traditional north-central Georgia ketchup and vinegar based, but well spiced with a trial end error recipe that must have taken lots of time to perfect, and ultimately arrives at near perfection. The Brunswick Stew is as good as Harold’s Barbecue, but has a uniquely different spice profile. It’s meaty and delicious. They don’t have the cracklin cornbread that made Harold’s famous, but this stew stands alone as my favorite, and I have had MANY a Brunswick Stew. Great ribs, similarly smoked and tasty. No skimping on quality at all. Here is the kicker, they have chicken wings that are smoked as well, but they seem to be marinated in soy, and/or Worcestershire sauce before the smoking. Whatever their proprietary process, you MUST try them. They do not skimp on the size of the wings, they are large and the best that I have ever had. Anywhere. Texas, Arizona, Kentucky, North/South Carolina, doesn’t matter. All the rest is standard good ol’ Georgia Barbecue, they have excellent slaw, and very good service in their neat and clean restaurant. Melears is across the steet and they don’t compare to this food. I have been there 10 times and it’s decent, but not even worth the review. If you fly into Atlanta like I do, and have a few hours to kill, make the drive to Fayetteville and get to this place. If you are a NASCAR fan, it’s about 20 miles south of the city but worth the drive. You can sit at the bar-style seating or get a table. You will likely meet up with the county sheriff or a Peachtree City mom feeding her kids some wonderful Georgia barbecue. Ask for Roy or Toni, they own this joint and run it like a 5 star restaurant. In my humble opinion, it is a 5 star restaurant for the category of great Georgia Barbecue. No wine list, no tuxedos, just fantastic barbecue. Is that OK?

Brunswick Stew

The best in the south. Period.

Add/Show Comments (2)

3.0

Average, at best

It had been a while since I visited Speedi-Pig, and I
was wanting BBQ, so I thought I’d give them another
shot. As is almost always the case I was quickly
wishing these folks would take advantage of the
HUGE opportunity that they have. Here in somewhat
‘upscale’ Fayette County, and there isn’t a single, really good BBQ Restaurant. These folks need to visit the
top BBQ places in Alabama. Big Bob Gibson’s in Decatur, BBQ Shack in Talledega, Golden Rule (my family’s favorite) in Irondale, Jim n Nick’s in B’ham (now in Atlanta), Whitt’s (Nashville based – available near Decatur), Thomas Pit & Greenbriar near Huntsville… and more. The BBQ meat was lean, but rather dry. The only sauce options was the rather watery style. I assume they are fans of NC BBQ, as am I. But, I would also offer an optional smoky, thicker sauce. Really good BBQ is good without sauce, and the sauce is just a complement. I give them 3 stars mostly because the service was excellent! The folks were really nice and quick. One last issue: I wanted to order some of their ‘smoked wings’ as I had heard they were excellent. But… $.70 for a small ‘1/2’ wing…? If the wings are something they do really well they should use them as a ‘tool’ to get folks to come in and TRY their Restaurant… NOT overprice them!
The Brunswick stew was O.K… but – honestly – my family’s was better at our reunion last week. Theirs needs ‘pieces of chicken & pork’… and more flavor.
I’ll probably go back at some point, but – if gas prices continue to come down – I’ll probably make the drive to Southern Pit BBQ in Griffin…!

Brunswick Stew

I love really good Brunswick stew. This was better, after I added some chopped pork and some of their ‘spicy’ sauce. I prefer Brunswick stew that has a BBQ taste… smokey, meaty… with corn, tomatoes, etc. This didn’t ‘light me up’… average, at best.

Add/Show Comments (1)

Speedi-Pig Barbecue

Due South (Peachtree City, Georgia)

This is a new restaurant in close proximity to THE AVENUE shopping area in Peachtree City, Georgia. Had heard that the former manager of a very good restaurant in Peachtree City was a co-owner, and decided to join some friends for a ‘long lunch’ . WHAT A PLEASANT SURPRISE, and ABSOLUTE DELIGHT. The service was similar to what you would experience in Buckhead, and so was the food — with a touch of ‘southern twist’.

Would I go back with even a larger group? ABSOLUTELY! This is a winner!